Chapter 20

He was back again. Back in that horrible place.

Blood​ instead of water washed up to his knees. If possible, the sky seemed redder than before. He walked along the shore, watching everything with concern. He felt like someone else - he was someone else.

He carried on walking, picking up the sand between his feet. A cave appeared in the distance, and he walked straight towards it. The closer he got, the more exited he felt But he opted to keep his face emotionless.

The cave radiated with power. He touched the painted black walls, always keeping it on his left. He spiralled inwards and downwards, rotating in a circle that repeated, over and over...

He stopped at the base, standing in front of an old rusted door. He took a deep breath, before opening it. Light flooded into his eyes, a warm, comforting glow, and he smiled, bowed deeply before a magnificent fire, burning a bright sky blue.

"Hello, Lifemaker."

The spirit rumbled from within the flames. "You are late, Asphodel."

He bowed his head. "I apologise."

"Do not fret." The voice was sweet and kind, and he felt no fear. "It's... been a while. I've heard the landscape has changed."

"Drastically."

"Yes, I'd assume so." There was a pause. "It doesn't seem real."

"No, it doesn't he readily agreed.

The presence sighed. "Maybe I was a fool. I was hoping... never mind. Release me from thesechains."

"Are you sure, your Greatness? The dragons may still stand a chance on their own. I have faith in them."

"The other deities have failed them. A Protector's duty if to protect. The puny beings they worship as gods show none of this. And I, as the ultimate protector, will bring the Shade to justice."

"But to what extent? If you fail, the world is doomed. You are the lifeline keeping all of the mortals alive. You were the one who weaved the earth itself. If you die, life will perish."

"I know," the spirit sighed. "But it's been too long. I left the Protector's Oath within the pillar itself, in case that one day it may shatter, allowing the Shade to enter this world freely. The Oath was the binding promise which forced the gods to work together. It is - it was the only way to prevent our word from being destroyed forever."

"But it didn't work."

"The stone disappeared." The voice was getting agitated now. "Someone stole it. In the past millennia I've slept, thousands have pillaged the pillar." She paused. "Ha."

He managed a wry smile. "Never past a joke, sister?"

"No, never." There was another pause. "Asphodel... tell me. How many gods are still alive?"

"All of them."

The fire flickered. "But... how?"

"I do not know."

"The Oath is binding. If someone really had stolen it, it would've activated by now. Unless..."

The flames flickered dangerously, almost going out. The temperature dropped as the room dimmed, and he shivered. Then the light slowly came back, the fire returning to normal.

"I must go." The voice took on an urgent tone. "Release me, brother."

"Lifemaker..."