Chapter 7

Light flooded into the room.

"Up. We're having meeting. All officers are to report to the Commander within five minutes."

Whoever the voice belonged to was gone as fast as they came. Ajax scrambled for his armour, pulling the bits and pieces on clumsily. This was the first time he was actually wearing it into battle, and he was a nervous wreck. He clipped his sheath on last, sliding it so that his sword rested at his waist where he could easily reach it.

"General Reijal," the sergeant addressed when he entered the commander's tent. He nodded mutely in response. The other officers were already sitting at the table, waiting for him impatiently.

He sat down, gnawing at his cheek, trying to stop his teeth from chattering. The Wind commander spread am assive map of the area out on the table in front of them. They mostly talked about strategics and attack methods, but it was only when they mentioned the assault when he started fully paying attention.

"We need to position forces here," the Mirror - Alector was it? - argued, stabbing his claw down into the middle of the map.

"No, no. The entrances in the mountains were already sealed off ages. If there were any monsters living inside, they'd be long dead by now." Zane brushed his arm aside. For some reason the commander had decided to participate in this battle, accompanying Ajax to the Plateau.

"What I really think we should do is launch an assult on the Talonok," a Windclaw argued - Sakura, her name was Sakura. "We have enough Wind forces to back yours up. Our scouts have reported that the establishment is almost deserted."

"Really?" Ajax interjected. All eyes turned on him, but he pressed on. "That seems suspisious."

"I agree with him. Why would the monsters suddenly abandon their camp?" Alector traced a circle around the cross marked 'Talonok Camp #5'. "There isn't a logical reason. I'd say they're hiding something."

"Hiding or not, we can't abandon a chance to get rid of one of the most dangerous gatherings I've ever seen in my lifetime." Zane pulled out a red pen and drew a circle around the cross. "We'll split up. Half the forces will stay here, the other half will attack. That way, even if something goes wrong we'll still enough power left to regroup."

"You want to use up half of your dragons in one attack?" Sakura asked incredulously.

"The Raptoriks are highly dangerous. They've become harder and harder to deal with in the past decades. You're young - you wouldn't know what I've seen."

"Well, I think it's rubbish. You're only having a quarter of my troops, Zane. A third is something already, but half? I think you've lost your mind."

"Maybe after all these years of death and despair, I have."

The room was silent for a while after that, the atmosphere gradually turning uncomfortable. Ajax was just about to bolt when Zane spoke up again. "Alright, fine. I'll use a third. That means Division One to Five. Alector, notify the troops."

The Mirror saluted and slipped out without a word. His heart when into his throat. Tas was in Division Three.

"Ajax, I know this is a huge favour considering that this is your first time leading." And fighting, he seemed to add in his mind. "But could you lead the squad with Sakura? I'll be supervising the warriors with Alector here."

The Wildclaw scrutinised him critically. "He doesn't look that experienced."

"He's a Reijal. Which is basically our equivalent to your Akili."

She squinted. Whatever Zane said seemed to satisfy her. "Fair."

"Attack at dusk. The night will give you a little cover." He sat back as if though the matter was settled. "Make sure everything in the squadron has armour, or at least some form of body protection. Raptoriks are small, but they are extremely agile. Their claws are sharp and can shred skin easily."

"I'll go rally my troops." Sakura stood up, leaving through the door.

It was just him and Zane left in the tent now. He jumped when the commander grabbed his arm. "I know you're only a figurehead. Sakura will handle most of the problems. But you're still a general. So please, act like one."