Chapter 10

"Can you walk?"

He slowly slid onto the ground, wincing. Two weeks of lying in bed rendered him mostly helpless, and he could barely stand up, let alone walk.

Stella caught him before he could fall. "A little bit at a time. It's been ages since you last stood up. Give yourself some time."

"I know, I know. I have a brain." He grimaced when his knees buckled and he almost fell face forward, which would've been a disaster. His facial wounds had almost healed by now, but there was obvious scarring. Four massive strokes straight across his face, and a smaller cut right over his eye. It was a miracle that he wasn't blind.

"Sit down. You're sweating." She eased him into a chair and he sighed.

"I've never felt so weak. Not since..."

"Shh," she shushed him, but he noticed her wincing. "We promised each other to survive."

"I know. It just... still feels like it happened just yesterday."

She looked down. "I helped his parents arrange a funeral, later this week. To properly say goodbye."

"...that's good."

"You're getting released in three days, right?"

"Yeah."

"The... the funeral is on Saturday. Gives us some time."

"That's good."

She looked at him in the eye. "You've been really quiet recently, Ajax. Are you alright?"

"I'm still recovering. It hasn't been easy..."

She didn't say anything in response, but just put one hand on his shoulder. They stayed that they for a while, when Stella suddenly jumped. "Shoot, I completely forgot about my time limit." She dashed over to the table, swinging her bag over her back. "I have class now. I'll come back in the evening, kay?"

He gave her a thumbs up, and she was gone.

He dragged himself back over to his bed, and pulled out his notebook and pen from under the pillow. Stella brought them from his room for him after he asked her, and he spent most of his days writing to pass the time.

His pen poised, he was about to dig in when voices drifted down the hallway.

"...pletely unacceptable."

"This isn't a joke, Zane!" Alector's voice echoed into his room and he slowly put down his pen, straining to listen. "There's more danger than ever before. After the disastrous accident three weeks ago I would've thought you'd have some sense by now!"

"Silence, Alector." The Spiral's voice took on a steely tone. "I know you're stressed, but it's only a rumour."

"Rumours are valuable sources of information. What if the Beastclans really are working with the Shade, huh? What chance would we stand against the legendary Deathbringer themselves?"

"We have no proof that they are really contacting them. The deities have no spoken. They would've sensed its presence around them if they truly are. Besides..."

Their voices started fading again, and he heard a click as the door next to his was opened. Ajax leaped out of bed, ignoring the crick in his leg and pressed his ear against the wall. Muffled voices were heard, but after a little while he could make them out.

"...ow's your arm, Ritza?"

"Healing," an unfamiliar voice answered. She had a high pitch to her voice, so much it almost squeaked. "When am I allowed back on duty?"