Chapter 21

There was a time when everything was lost, and everything was gone, he felt numb to the world. Everything was grey and colourless, devoid of hope he's come to know. The feeling was mutual.

The following few days were torture. Trapped in his cage whilst the Beastclans plotted and worked together in the rooms above him - at least he thought that they were above him, judging from the voices he could hear - to launch their attack on the rest of the world. The entire Icefields had been turned into a massive military operation for their enemies, as they used up every last piece of land available. They'd cut off all connections with the other flights, and the Warden had remained silent. He may as well be dead, or fled the place after his subjects were captured.

Everyday, Talona would come to see him. Although he often tried to block her out, she'd still fill him in on what they were planning - the attacks, the gruesome ambushes, the assaults on various clans around the borderline. They would slowly creep further and further in, until finally, Dragonhome was the last one standing.

"And then," she said, sitting down at the entrance, writing down everything on a piece of paper. The door was wide open, but he couldn't reach it. He tried to block his eyes, but her voice was like a lazer through glass. "We'll tear down the Pillar itself. Your foolish gods almost destroyed it when the explosion hit. Since the pillar is far weaker than before after the Arcanist accidentally summoned the Shade, he's been able to enter Sorieth, although only little bits at a time. We've been slowly pulling him in, letting him gradually grow more and more powerufl. When we shatter the Pillar, the barrier will fully break, letting him come and go as he please. Dragonkind will perish. Then the world will be finally ours!"

"Seriously?" He couldn't hold it in anymore. Talona had ranted about the same plan for over a week now, only rewording it slightly each time. "I've already told you - it won't work. The pillar can only be broken with the might and force of a god."

"Oh, but we already have one. Don't you see?"

"But," he fumbled for words. "The Shade isn't at their full power."

"Maybe. But the Shade is an Elder God. He has more power then all of the eleven combines. A fraction is enough to completely pulverise the planet."

He groaned. Talona seemed to smile. Her eyes were red under the torchight, which seriously creeped him out.

"Have fun, little dragon. I have many plans for all of you!" With that, she had the nerve to skip away, disappearing once more for the day.

"Why does she like you so much?" Stella reappeared at her side. After the first two times of listening to Talona, she just pretended to sleep through her ranting. Ajax wished he could do the same. If he so much tried to lie down, the Harpy would start throwing rocks at him.

"I... well, I guess she just recognised me. Or she just wants to torture me."

"She's trying to make sure you don't get any ideas."

He sighed. "What did she say the Shade was again? An Elder God?"

"Oh! Uhh." She paused, thinking. "I read something about that a long time ago. I've forgotten a lot, though."

"What do you remember?"

She sat down, drawing a diagram in the earth, sketching out the eleven symbols. Even without a proper brush and paper, she could still draw exceptionally well. He marelled at that.

"Alright, so. We have the eleven deities - Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Nature, Plague, Arcane, Ice, Light and Shadow."

"Yes."

"They are known as the Protectors." She drew a circle around them. "Compared to the Elder Gods, they were only minor."

"Who are the Elder Gods?"