Chapter 19 - Truth Be Told

Ross' POV

I helped Laura bandage her hand. Honestly, I can't even believe that Vanessa kept this a secret from her.

"Ross..." Laura whispered.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Can we go back to jail? Talk to Maia," she said.

I hesitated for a moment. Would this be a good idea? Then I thought that if Laura needed answers about Kristine (As Laura said that was her name), she had to go to Maia since she's not talking to Vanessa.

"Okay... We'll go."

We walked down the stairs and out the door. Vanessa was probably in her room, thinking about the situation since no one was downstairs.

Laura wanted to walk there again, but then I realized it was about a 50 minute walk and I convinced her to take the car instead and I drove.

"Over there," she pointed as we got close to Pleasant Hills Jail. I parked the car and we got down, walking towards the two guards.

"Here to see Ms. Mitchell again?" One of the guards asked Laura.

Laura smiled, "Yes." She turned back to me and I gave her my ID. "Here," she said, handing our IDs to the guards and they welcomed us inside.

"Are you famous here?" I had to ask.

"Well, my first time coming here was this morning," she laughed. "But I guess you could call me famous with Miranda."

"Who's Miranda?"

"Her," Laura walked towards the front desk and smiled again. "Hey!"

"Laura, hi!"

I looked at the name tag.

That's Miranda.

She looked at me, "Oh, and you bought Ross Lynch," Miranda winked.

Laur laughed, "Yeah."

"Here to see Maia agin?"

"Yes please."

"I'll call her in."

Miranda spoke into the intercom, sending Maia to Station 5.

"Want me to take you to the room, or do you wanna show the way?" She asked Laura.

"Nah it's good. I've got this," Laura took my hand and walked me into a room with many stalls and windows and stuff.

I'm guessing this is where people talk to the ones in Jail.

We sat under Station 5 and saw Maia being brought in.

"Back again, I see," Maia said as she sat. Then looked at me. "Ross, long time no see."

"I'm not here for you Maia," I said.

"I know, I know. But I would actually like to hear from Laura of here," she turned to Laura.

Laura sighed, "Okay... You were right. Vanessa told me everything."

"Mmhmm. What'd I tell you? I was right."

"Right or not Maia, you still killed my sister."

"She was our sister, darling. And Melody was our niece. But no, I couldn't kill her. Nothing was her fault anyway. I had to kill our lovely half sister and your parents."

"Back off Maia!" I shouted, but Laura held me back with her arm.

"Were you responsible for why Melody ran away?" I asked instead.

"Melody ran away? Oh dear no. Why would I be? I couldn't get out of this stupid jail anyway."

"That's it," Laura suddenly stood up and walked out of the room.

"Laura wait!" I ran after her and she was walking straight back to the front desk where Miranda was.

"Miranda, you know that case of the little girl, Melody Marie Skye that was missing. The one who's parents Maia killed," she asked her.

"Oh, you mean her?" Miranda pulled out the picture of Melody and handed it to Laura.

"Yes, her. Have you found her yet?"

"No. Sadly, we haven't."

"Melody is mine and Maia's niece. And her mother is mine and Maia's half sister. The reason Maia killed her parents was because my dad cheated on my mom by sleeping with Maia's mom. Kristine was my dad's and Maia's mom's daughter. The night Melody's parents were killed, Melody ran away. Ross found her sitting on the sidewalk and took her home. I had no idea she was my niece, but we took care of her because she didn't have a home. But then she ran away because she thinks we would go to jail if the police found out we have her."

The whole time Laura was explaining, I was just thinking, Why is she admitting all this? Right here, right now.

"Laura... I don't know what to say. H-How do you know this?" Miranda asked.

"Maia told me. At first I didn't believe her, but then my sister told me the truth and Maia was right. Look, you can take me in and keep me in jail right now. But as long as you promise you'll find Melody in the end."