Chapter 15 - Let Her Go?

-With Laura & Rydel-

Laura's POV

"Delly, put this on her," I said as I threw a dress over the door in the changing room.

Rydel was inside with Melody in the changing room to help her. I said that I would look around a bit more, so I did.

While I was looking through some clothes, two police guards came walking towards me.

"Ms. Laura Marano?" The tall one said.

"Yes?" I replied.

"We would like to know if ever you've seen this girl," another officer pulled out a picture and showed it to me.

It was Melody.

My heart stopped a bit.

They're looking for her.

I had no idea what to do.

I can't just give Melody up like this, right now. But I can't lie either...

"Ms. Marano?" The police grabbed my attention.

I had no choice.

I choose Melody.

"No, I haven't seen her. Is there a problem though?" I felt guilty already.

"This little girl's parents were kidnapped and killed a few nights ago. And according to your Instagram, we have seen you posted a picture with you and Mr. Ross Lynch holding a child as to what looks like Melody over here."

"Oh, that was just a fan. After we took a picture with her, we haven't seen her again."

"Okay then. Thank you for your time," they said, and walked away.

Then being myself, I didn't wanna lie. So I called them out.

"Wait!" I yelled.

The police men turned around.

"What would you do once you found her? The child?" I asked.

"The Judge advised us to give her up for adoption. But adoption for a girl at the age of Melody right now is very unsafe. So we have decided to take her to a foster home instead."

"Oh... Okay then. Thank you."

The officers walked away again. And I let them go this time.

Quickly, I dropped the shopping bags and clothing in front of the stall Rydel and Melody were in in the dressing room, then ran to the coffee shop across the store where Ross was.

"The police came!" I shouted in a loud whisper as I sat across him.

"Y-Yeah I know. They came to me too," Ross said.

"Looking for Melody?"

"Yep."

"What did you tell them?"

"That Melody was just a fan and we let her go after the picture."

"I told them the same thing! Maybe that's why they didn't ask me so many questions."

Ross sighed, and then looked down.

He's as disappointed as I am.

"What would they do to Melody after they have her?" He suddenly asked.

"I asked them. They said that they were going to give her up for adoption-"

"That's perfect! We could hand Melody over, tell the police that we found her, and then adopt her once they send her to the Adoption Center!"

"No, Ross, listen. They said that giving Melody up for adoption at her age is very unsafe. So instead, they're going to send her to a foster home..."

"Oh..." He looked down again. "We're not getting out of this, are we?"

"I guess not..."

We sat there quiet for a moment.

Then, my phone rang.

It was a message from Rydel.

•New Message!•

Rydel Lynch

I paid for the clothes for Melody as a gift😘 (Ross should thank me haha) Anyways, where are you?

Laura Marano

Aw! You didn't have to do that❤️ But thanks! I'll pay you back the money somehow anyways😂 But right now, I'm at the coffee shop with Ross. Get here quick and bring Mel. The police were here.

A few minutes after that message, Rydel came running, holding Melody's hand and three bags of clothes.

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"We'll explain in the car. Right now, we gotta go."

I grabbed her hand and she held Melody's. Ross followed us behind as we ran towards the car and drove away.
Ross and I in the front, Delly and Mel in the back.

"What was going on?" Rydel asked again.

"The police came looking for Melody," I explained. "They talked to me and Ross. All we said was that she was a fan and then afterwards we never saw her again. So then, being the me that never lied, I asked them what they would do once they found Melody, and they said that they were suppose to give her up for adoption, which would've been fine with me because then we could adopt her afterwards, but instead, the police decided to put her in a foster home because giving up a girl with the age of Mel for adoption is very unsafe."

"Oh wow... That's horrible."

"Mommy, I don't wanna go away!" Melody cried.

"I know sweetie... I don't wanna send you away either," I said.

"What are you gonna do?"

"I-I don't know..."

•IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE•

Guys, I am so sorry that I didn't update for a while. It was my brother's birthday so we're on a little get away for the weekend on an island🌴🌿

So please forgive me for that🙏😂

Anyways, I need your opinion.

Should they give Melody up or not?👀