DIE ANOTHER DEATH:- THE UNDERWORLD RELOCATED [5]

KEEP READING AND COMMENT AND VOTE IF YOU LIKE IT !!! ;-)

                               CHAPTER 5:- 

                             ============

           Sean followed a pair of vampires along buttressed corridors, through several doors and halls, finally ending up in a vast rectangular room with two banks of flashing LCD monitors along two walls and numerous C.P.U.s, keyboards, joysticks and terminals with various buttons, switches and levers completing the arrangement. Most of the terminals were manned. Along the other wall was an expansive mahogany table, laden with an array of telephones, both wired and cordless, satellite phones and G.P.S. trackers.

           A broad-shouldered Afro-American, with a vicious scar coursing from his left ear to the left angle of his mouth, was hunched over a wide screen on the table, staring intently at gray images with blotches of orange, yellow, green and blue in various degrees of shading. A blonde woman was pointing out a few particulars on the screen to him. Around them stood half a dozen vampires and werewolves, watching and listening.

           Sean cleared his throat and edged his way closer to the screen to see better. The other vampires and werewolves turned to face him.

           "What's going on?" he asked the Afro-American.

           "Look who's here," said a reedy-thin guy. "Its Vanessa's pet!"

           The others, except the Afro-American, laughed and sniggered.

           "Shut up, Lyman!" Sean growled. "You don't want me to break your neck, do you?"

           "Let us see you try it, big-mouth-pretty-boy," Lyman dared him.

           "Oh, yeah? Well, then why don't you come - ," began Sean. But the scar-faced guy cut him off.

           "You can take your squabble someplace else. Right now we have a situation on hand," he boomed.

           "What's up?" enquired Sean.

           "You see these images?" The former pointed at the screen. "Our infrared scanners on the close-circuit cameras are picking these up even as we speak. We have an intrusion towards the north-east, near Danford. The images are definitely not of animals. And these people are armed."

          "They could be fellow vampires," said Vanessa, who had just entered the room and had heard everything.

          "Yeah. Why don't you revert back to the digital mode and see who it is?" suggested Sean.

          "We tried, but there seems to be some glitch in the camera," said Tamara, the blonde.

          "Isn't there another camera in the vicinity?" asked Vanessa.

          "No, unfortunately," replied Tamara.

          "We are going to send a team to check out. If they are some foolish bunch of mortal daredevils, we will either capture or kill them. If they turn out to be other vampires or werewolves not affiliated to us, we will ask them to accompany the team quietly, or else........," said the Afro-American.

          "I would like to go along with the team," Sean volunteered.

          "Sean, love, there's no need for you to go. Others will handle it," stated Vanessa, not at all pleased.

           Lyman smirked. A few others grinned.

           Vanessa glared at them. Her diamond gaze cut through the glass of their mirth. Lyman lowered his eyes, shifting uncomfortably.

           "But I want to go!" Sean protested. He turned to the scar-faced, hulking vampire. "Drake, I can be of a lot of help. I know those areas very well."

           "All right, you are in," said Drake.

           "No, you won't go!" Vanessa stamped her foot.

           "Vanessa, please, don't make a scene. I can handle such a minor job," said Sean.

           "McCarty, Delgado, Irene, Lyman, Carter and Sean, you are going. Take a few others along. Report to me or to Tamara. Now be off."

           "Then I am going, too," declared Vanessa.

           "No, you are not. Your father will have my head if something happened to you," said Drake.

           "Father need not know about this. You will be wise not to tell him. Come, Sean."

            She turned on her heels, then stopped. She rotated on the spot. "A word of advice for you, Lyman, and hear me well. Your tongue has a tendency of making unsavoury remarks. You better keep it in check."

            Vanessa went away, down the hall, Sean at her side.

            Lyman spoke up. "That Sean is too flaky for the job. You should not have allowed him to go with us."

            "I know that. But he is a weasel, and a favoured one. Let him have his way. Just make sure to stay out of the way if these intruders try to finish him off. We creatures of the dark are better off without a weakling like him."

           "Got it, boss," Lyman grinned evilly. Everybody laughed.

           "What about Vanessa?" asked Tamara.

           "Leave her to her devices," said Drake. "We don't want to be messing with her. She is too powerful and dangerous for that."

                                               ----- DEEP

* LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FELT THIS CHAPTER IS. YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. COMMENT AND VOTE IF YOU LIKE IT !!! ;-)