The Food of Love Chapter 28

Huge thanks again to Jilly Cooper.....

[b]Part 28[/b]

Terrie's first scan was under way. Peter had declined the offer to come to the hospital. This worried Terrie. Was he resenting the baby already ? 

Mark was more inclined to believe that the lad was anxious about being thought childish by his peers, if he appeared too interested. No doubt he'd be happier discussing the baby in private.

He watched the screen with rapt fascination, as his developing child moved in it's protecting fluid.  

The photograph in it's white cover would join the ones Terrie had from her pregnancy with Peter.

He was quiet and pensive all the way home. “Penny for your thoughts darlingâ€. Terrie smiled as they parked up outside Mark's cottage.

Mark pulled her close. “I'm just thinking that I've witnessed a small miracle today“. His voice was quiet and low with awe. â€And it's got me pondering that this will be my parents first grandchild. I've just got to have one last crack at them. Give them every chance I can and then if they refuse, 

I won't have anything to reproach myself for will I ?†

Terrie found his mouth and kissed it sweetly. “You're right. We have to at least try. Good luck then loveâ€.

Mark drove down the long drive to the home of his ancestors. He hadn't stepped foot inside for almost 20 years. 

The butler Travers opened the door. He'd been a mere 30 years old when Mark had last seen him as a lad of 18, yet they recognised each other immediately. 

“Mr Chatford !†Travers said with great pleasure. “I'm so very glad to see you again.“ Mark patted the older man's shoulder. “You too Travers,†he said with a smile. 

“Mr and Mrs Chatford are not at home I'm afraid Sir.“ Travers informed him.  

“Colonel Chatford is though,“ he added warily. He knew there had always been precious little love between the Chatford brothers. 

Mark squared his shoulders. “Would you please tell him I'm here then Travers. I think the Colonel and I ought to talk.“

Colonel Michael Chatford was home on leave from the army, and had decided to spend it with his parents. He liked to keep an eye on the house and estate, built by his forebears in the 17th Century, and which would belong to him one day. Though whether he would be coming here to run the place was another matter.

Travers told him that his brother was waiting outside. He almost spat out a mouthful of his Father's best single malt in shock. 

Mark was the last person he had either expected or desired to see. Yet there were emotions inside him regarding his brother that had festered for years. It was time to let them out, to give himself some peace at last.

He stood up as his younger brother came face to face with him. His smooth, arrogant, patrician voice was saturated with sarcasm. 

“Well look what the cat's brought in. Mark Chatford, Rutshire's No1 Celebrity. 

I'm heartily sickened by the number of times I've been asked if I'm related to you.“

“Michael,†Mark sighed wearily. “Look, I know you and I have never been friends, but the time's come when I really think we should let bygones be bygones.†No sense in beating about the bush he decided. Get right onto the point.

“I'm getting married, Michael. I'm already a stepfather and Terrie's pregnant now too.  

I want my wife and children to get to know you all. Surely the choices I've made in life aren't so terrible, that it can merit innocent children missing out on knowing their family...â€