Food Of Love chapter 26

Dame Enid and Monica,  Paradise village and The Heavenly Host restaurant belong to Jilly Cooper.

Part 26.

Two weeks to go before the concert.

They'd been to see the Vicar and had booked their wedding for the end of April. 

“ It's really happening isn't it ?†Mark hugged Terrie in delight. His high spirits were infectious and she kissed him back generously.

A slight droop of his shoulders and she could tell what he was thinking. “ Your Mum and Dad ? †Mark nodded. “ I shouldn't give a stuff about them really. They've all but wiped me from their memories haven't they ? “ 

Terrie shook her head. “ You do care though. It's one of the things I love most about you. How much you feel about things. We'll send them an invitation. It's all we can do.â€.

Mark squeezed her hand and he walked her back to the library. 

Only with extreme reluctance did he finally let her out of his arms.

That evening they sat with Peter having supper. Mark had been pondering upon a certain matter all day and these were the 2 people who could oblige him.

“ I've been thinking about what to do with my house,†he said conversationally.

“ The thing is, I know you both love this house. It's been your home for 13 years, but I'm thinking about my studio. I've got it spot on now.. 

That house is actually mine. This house really belongs to Elsie, who if I'm any judge might be considering marriage again soon. 

I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm though. If you guys are set on staying here, then I'll put my place on the market. â€

Terrie looked over at Peter. “ What do you think about Mark's cottage honey ?† 

Peter gave his usual grunt of “ S'alright. I s'poseâ€.

“ There's an attic.†She gave Mark a winsome yet melting look. “ Could we perhaps turn that into a bedroom/come den for Peter, darling ?† 

Peter was madly interested now. His face had a hungry look. He'd dreamed for sometime of having an attic bedroom and den, as his mother very well knew.

Mark's lips curved upwards. He turned to his future step son. “ If we convert the attic for you. Do we have a deal mate ? We'll still be close to Elsie, and she and Derek will have their privacy back.â€

Peter just stood up and hugged his Mum, He paused, unsure of how to proceed with Mark and made do with a handshake.

Then he was off to phone his friends. Terrie and Mark smiled at each other. 

“ If only he were always that easy to please, “ Terrie chuckled.

*************************************

7 days before the concert there were rehearsals, held on the stage erected in Pittville Park.

Mark had already spoken to the orchestra.  

“ Now I want you to give as good a performance for Dame Enid as you would do for me.  

Don't think that just because I'll be singing instead of baton waving, that I won't be watching you all.  

Old habits die hard. Go out there and do yourselves and me proud. Or I'll want to know the reason why. â€

Now he was comforting Terrie's out break of nerves, having tried out the stage for size. 

“ It's enormous, “ she gasped horsely. “ And they reckon the crowd's going to be huge.  

It's a sell out I hear. The village is going to be deserted, “ she giggled.  

Everyone in Elderdale had bought tickets. They'd hired a bus for the evening.

Elsie and Derek, Letty and Marjie had already planned to sit together and share a picnic. 

Mark, Terrie, Peter, Enid and Monica were all involved in the show.

Terrie was delighted to hear that Max and David would be down for the performance.  

She felt an alltoo common pang that Lucy would not be joining them.

The biggest blow was that Mark's parents had not answered his note, asking them to come to the concert; and to join himself, Terrie and their friends for supper after wards.

Mark was wounded and she just didn't know how to comfort him.

The night had finally come. The choir and orchestra were all set up. And now Terrie stood in the wings, waiting as the orchestra played the Overture. After this she would be the first on stage to sing the title song.

Her heart thudded with adrenaline then she sighed as a pair of arms slid around her.

“ You're going to knock them out darling,†Mark whispered into her ear.  

“ I'm looking forward to our performing together very much “.

Terrie tuned around to allow herself to be lost in his sustaining kiss for a minute, before the end of the overture meant she had to be alert. 

“ Break a leg angel. I love you, “ Mark murmured. He patted her bottom as her introduction began. Then she ran onto the stage...

Mark thrilled to the sound of her sweet pure soprano, launching with sudden confidence into the well known song......... 

The show was a roaring success. Now that Terrie was comfortable she happily led the action and infected everyone with her enthusiasm. 

Mark found himself falling in love all over again when they first met up on stage...

When the last notes died away, the applause went on for a good half hour.  

The choir and orchestra were brought to their feet time and again.  

The adult performers led by Terrie, took bow after bow, before finally leaving the stage.

Enid had booked a table for supper at The Heavenly Host in Paradise village, for a celebrationsupper.

She and Monica, Mark and Terrie, Letty and Marjie, Elsie and Derek, Peter, David and Max all ended their evening in style.

Max hugged Terrie cheerfully. “ I was so proud of you babe “. He told her. “ You were even better than you used to be in your G&S days. “ He turned to Mark. “ You've got to get her singing more mate “.

Mark nodded. “ Oh I agree. I could try the Overbearing Master approach. It sometimes does the trick “.  

He raised an eyebrow at Terrie, who was suddenly fascinated by the bottom of her glass. 

Max chuckled. He had been surprised to find that the news of Terrie's impending wedding to Mark, had genuinely thrilled him.

The foolish passion he's once had, for a woman he'd known as a sister for so long, was over and they were closer than ever.  

He just hoped that Lucy would snap out of her self pity by April. Terrie had thoroughly enjoyed their wedding, and he hoped that together they, her oldest friends would enjoy hers.

He and David were staying in Rutshire for a few more days, to spend time with Peter, before the new school year began in 2 weeks time.

They had further discussed the matter of Peter going to Blackburn for Christmas.  

Next year would be Mark and Terrie's first married Festive Season, so a good time for them to spend it with Peter.

This year his Father and Brother wanted their turn.

TBC