Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The delicate sensation of fingers brushing my scalp made me stir and turn over with a sleepy smile. A general murmur surrounded me as my mind clambered up from the depths of slumber. Whispers of awe and wonderment met my ears, and I finally opened my eyes to find my bunk encircled by an encroaching mass of boys, all trying to get their hands on my newly shorn head.

"Mornin' Sunshine," grinned Neal from the back of the pack, "Got a new 'do' while the rest of us were sleeping, did ya?"

"Yup," I nodded groggily, swinging my feet down and standing up with a stretch, "been wanting to do it for a while." I looked down into the upturned faces of the boys and bent lower to give them one last chance to run their hands over my new flat-top crew cut.

"Looks like you're ready to sign up for the Marines!" said Brian Coopersmith.

"It's so RED looking like that," said another.

The mouth-watering aroma of breakfast aroused my senses, a sudden pang of hunger overtook my belly. Pulling on my robe, I tucked my feet into my slippers. Neal and I led the boys, like a procession of playful pups, down the stairs to form a queue at the chafing dishes piled high with steaming eggs, browned sausages, crisp bacon, pancakes and thick slices of buttered toast. Soon, the room was full of chatter as girls and adults all joined in. Shortly, the families would pack up their suitcases, jam piles of new gifts and toys into their trunks and pile into their cars and leave our little winter oasis. One or two might stay past noon, but Christmas in the Pines would be over, returning us to our normal, daily lives.

Pastor Dave walked over and brushed his hand over my head. Instead of shrinking away like I normally did when somebody tried to muss my hair, I let him.

"Wow, look at that," he gave a low whistle, "your haircut makes you look taller, Bennett!"

"Really?" I asked, dubious, yet hopeful, "do you really think so?" There were nods of general agreement around the table, but most of the boys had their mouths so full of food they didn't bother speaking. Neal sat across from me, grinning like a bandit, but he hadn't said much about it. The morning sun was streaming through the tall windows behind him, casting him in silhouette. His black hair sparkled in the light's rays, dust motes danced in the air above his head. Every movement made the tips of his hair glitter with tiny rainbows.

"Geez you two," said Lizzie-B, "get a room, would ya?"

"What?" I asked, shocked out of my momentary reverie.

"Nothin'" she said, a capricious little smirk on her face, "Nothin' important." Neal narrowed his eyes as he looked at her, as if trying to fathom something. Eventually he just shrugged and continued eating. Neal's father walked over and put his hand on Neal's shoulder.

"Don't forget to pack up your stuff Neal," he said, "we'll be taking off as soon as the car's packed."

"Aww Dad," Neal breathed a dejected sigh, "Do we hafta go so fast?"

"Long way back to Hartford, Sport," he said, patting Neal gently, "there's another storm brewing and we need to get home before any more snow flies." I moment of intense sorrow settled in me for a second, but I pushed it away before I could really feel it. I knew what it was and I'd deal with it later, for now I wanted to be with Neal as much as humanly possible. When breakfast was done, we all helped to clear the tables as the families started herding the kids and packing up. The big Christmas tree vibrated as people bustled around, it's tinsel and ornaments scintillating in the morning sun. It almost seemed to sense that this busy time meant the festivities were at an end.