30

Iris's P. O. V.

Before I knew it, I was on my way to the Oakland Park. Zach was somewhere close behind me in a cop car with Officer Hopper. I'll admit, I was nervous. I was going to meet up with a crazy guy. Who knew what was gonna happen?

I turned the radio on, trying to somehow stop thinking about worst case scenarios. They were having an interview with Jessie J. The repeating of Jessie's name made me freak out.

I changed the station to the song that I hadn't heard in years. I would've been happy, but this song was Jesse and I's song. "Kiss Me Thru The Phone".

I changed the station again, and my song "Burning Bridges" played. It was about Jesse. Everything was connected to him!

I changed it once more, hoping I'd get a break. When I heard Zach's voice singing the familiar words, I relaxed and sang along to "Invitation".

I sighed as I pulled into the parking lot. I didn't find Jesse's car, but he obviously had to use a different one. I slowly stepped out of the car. It was the beginning of September, but it was oddly cold.

I pulled my sweater tightly against my skin and walked toward the picnic tables where Jesse was sitting. He had his hood up and was facing the forest in front of us.

"Jesse?" I asked, not wanting to startle him.

"Iris, you came." A small smile appeared on his face, then disappeared.

"Of course." I sat down next to him.

"Jesse I just wanted to say that I'm sorry-"

"Save it. I know what you're doing Iris. I know that your little Zach has the cops and they're gonna come and save the day. I'm not an idiot. You'd never volunteer to talk to me."

"Why do you say that?" I asked, but he ignored me.

"You were right. Talking to you did make me relapse. I fell back into the dark hole I was once in. I wanted Zach to feel the pain that I felt when you left. That's why I hired someone to kill you, and Wes."

I looked over my shoulder, signaling to Zach that I needed help now.

"I don't know why I gave her my car, though. Stupid mistake."

"Jesse why do you have to do this? You should move on. Find someone better than I was. I wasn't even that great of a girlfriend."

"I don't want someone else. I only want you. And if I don't have you, I might as well die," he said softly.

"What?" I asked.

"I said," he started to pull something out of his pocket. "I'd rather die than watch you be with Zach." I saw a gun in his right hand and gasped.

"Jesse, you don't have to do this."

"I want to."

"I know what it's like to feel like you want to die. When you feel like no one wants you. It sucks, believe me I know."

"If they move any closer I'll pull the trigger!" He shouted. I turned around and saw Zach, Hopper, and three officers. I waved my hand telling them to stop, then continued.

"But what stopped me from ending it was meeting someone who changed my life. He made me feel so much better, and he helped me move on. You can move on too."

"I don't have a friend to help me get better, Iris." He was crying and his hand holding the gun was shaking.

"What about your sister, Jesse? You can't leave her alone with your dad. I'm sure she's struggling right now. You have to do this. For her."