Chapter 47 {Edited}

Of course I was always wrong, I didn’t hear the door open all I felt was the cold air tickle along my back. Very slowly I looked over my shoulder at the man in question standing in the doorway with wide surprised eyes, in his arms were a few quartered logs for the fire. Damn I should have grabbed my clothes and scurried back to the bathroom. I watched as his face went pink and he kept trying to look away, was he embarrassed? He was embarrassed!

“I forgot to bring a change in with me.” I said glancing down at the large black shirt I had in my hands, it was about three sizes too big for me and hung down around mid-thigh so I always wore it as a winter bedtime shirt. It had an Akhenaten on the front (the T with an o on top of it).

As if he realized then that he was staring he cursed under his breath and tore his eyes away from me instead staring at the floor. He stepped into the cabin closing the door behind him, with hurried steps he made his way to the fireplace at the foot of the bed and set the wood down beside the stone hearth. I pulled the shirt over my head and shifted awkwardly, the air in the cabin grew tense as the silence dragged out.

“What happened to the Saebriel that said he would win and take what every girl held precious?” The thought came out of my mouth without any warning.

He glanced at me finding me dressed better now, a smirk pulled at the corner of his mouth as he stoked the fire. I made my way over towards him crouching down beside him tucking the large shirt underneath me treating it like a dress.

“That was poor arrogance, and it was rude. I regret ever saying those things to you now.” He looked over at me and sighed.

“Do you think I’m attractive?” I asked reached forward and catching a flying spark in my hand, when I unfurled my fingers it was gone.

“Why are you asking?” he went back to gently shifting the crumbling logs around trying to make room for more.

It was my turn to smirk, “I can see it when you look at me, there’s a hesitation before you relax. Just now to you kept looking away.” An ember fell from the fireplace onto the stone floor that was only in front of the fire, I watched it burn and then fizzle out.

“I kept looking back at you didn’t I?” he muttered setting the poker down, “I find you aggravatingly attractive Aderyn.”

“Why is it I’m always aggravating with you?” I hissed narrowing my eyes at him.

“Because you are aggravating to me. You’re beautiful, and fragile. I could break you in the worst of ways if I’m not careful, so I have to keep myself in check. Its aggravating because of things like this where your there and it’s like your tempting me, trying to push me past my limit.”

“I don’t mean to.” I grumbled crossing my arms and resting my chin on top of them, leaning forward so I was curled into a little ball balancing on my toes.

“I know you don’t. You never do, it’s the bliss of being human. It’s hard for me to even kiss you now because you don’t fight back.”