When Things Fall Apart

"Mommy when can TJ come back over to play?" Jacob asked as the strolled down the children's aisle of Party City.

"I don't know Jakey, TJ was just over yesterday." Ever since they met Jacob declared TJ to be his best friend and had to play with TJ twice a week for the past four weeks. Gaby was amazed by how well they got along, which she was grateful for because sometimes Elijah didn't feel like being bothered with his annoying younger brother.

"Lets talk about your birthday party,"

"TJ can come?"

"Yes TJ can come Jakey I already gave his invite to his nanny."

"Why don't I have a nanny?"

"Because you have a mother who loves watching her baby," Gaby said as she picked up a fire truck piñata.

"No mommy we need the dinosaur one."

"Oh excuse me," Gaby said putting the piñata down. Jacob marched down the aisle until he came to a T-Rex cake topper.

"Can we get this?"

"What is up with all of this we business, when did you start speaking French?" Gaby said and Jacob looked up at his mother the confusion evident on his face.

"Can we get it?" he asked softly.

"Yes we can get it." Gaby said with a sigh. Jacob beamed as he placed the topper into the cart.

"Let's check our list." Gaby said as she pulled a list from her back pocket and began to check things off.

"Did we get the table cloths?....Check. Napkins....Check. Cups...Check....Jacob's birthday present." Gaby paused to the reaction on Jacob's face; he looked so eager Gaby couldn't help but mess with him.

"Oh my goodness that is what I forgot. I don't know what I will do since the party is two days away." Gaby said as she covered her mouth.

"Oh no." Jacob cried as his eyes grew wide as they filled with fear.

Gaby you should be ashamed of yourself. She scolded herself with a chuckle.

"Oh yeah that's right, daddy picked it up yesterday, that was a close one. Check."

"I was worried." Jacob said with a frown.

"You shouldn't be, you know I would never forget something as important as your birthday gift." Gaby said as she placed Jacob into the shopping car seat.

"We better get going so you're not late for afternoon school."

"'Kay Ms. Robin said that we get to finger paint today."

"Oh boy I know how much you love that, throw in a couple of juice boxes and you're in for a wild time." Gaby said with a laugh.

"Yupp,"

"I really do love the conversations we have." Gaby said as she kissed Jacob on the cheek as they arrived at the checkout counter.

After checking out Gaby rushed to put Jacob in his booster seat and put the bags in the car so they wouldn't be late. When they arrived at the daycare Jacob was ready to run into the school yard to meet up with the rest of his class when Gaby stopped him.

"Yes mommy?"

"Where's my hug?"

"Mooooooooom I'm going to be late."

"It will only take a minute." Gaby said with a pout. Jacob strolled over to his mother and held his arms open, Gaby kneeled down and wrapped her arms around him.