Chapter 10: Fun with the SAT Phone

"Still no news?" She asked tiredly, Axel just chuckled. He'd been assigned to be her tour guide and for the most part guard these days. Not that she was complaining Axel (so long as Luke's father wasn't around) was the packs number three in command and one Lukes oldest friends.
"Just because telephones and the like are around doesn't mean news can be found instantly." He reminded her as she groaned and placed her head down on the table before her.
"Sorry to bore you princess."
"Please don't call me that." She grumbled but it was only half hearted as she stared out the window into the pouring rain of the outside world.
"My apple-oh-geez you're majesty!"
She gave him a smile and over dramatized eye roll making him chuck one of the crumpled sheets of paper at her.
"I just can't help it it's been three days. I feel restless. And all this paperwork and rain isn't helping." Aurora hardly understood what half the paper work before her was however she had promised Luke she'd help out.
"You're the one that insisted he leave it all to you and to go check it out himself." Reminded Axel who had been helping with said horrible paperwork.
"I know but I still didn't expect them to be gone this long you know?" Her wistful eyes turned back to the library's dripping window panes.
"You miss him?"
Wrong question to ask as all at once she went to yell no-so what-and fall out of her chair at the same time resulting in a crash and incoherent squeal.
"I'll take that as a yes." Laughed the huge teddy bear of a man as red faced and looking thouroughly embarrassed and irritated Aurora stood her chair back up and straightened the pile of papers before her again.
"Think what you will." She groused picking up a pen
"But I'm curious what do you think now you've seen the paperwork side of being alpha and Luna? Ready to meet the troops?" He teased leaning his chair on its back two legs as he balanced shifting forward and back.
"Sure." I sighed. "It's not as though I haven't met a bunch of them already."
A crashing sound made me look up and away from my papers. Axel has fallen backwards his chair and him dropping onto the ground. "Are you okay?"
It was a comical sight seeing the big muscles man sprawled on the ground mouth hanging open, one leg on his chair broken off. Since he didn't move merely stared at me wordlessly I rose and walked around the desk to his side.
"You good?"
"You-you-what have you done with Aurora?" He spluttered sitting up as I cleaned up the various items he'd knocked off the table.
"Why does everyone think I'm going to run away with my tail tucked between my legs like a big baby?" I grumbled hauling the giant back onto his feet. "I'm not some frumpy little bitty that's here for the fun and runs when it gets tough."
"You admitted being here is fun..."
welp there goes the idea of getting actual work done.
"So?" I asked trying to derail him and return to the work at hand but the biggest grin burst across his ruggish face. "YOU ADMITTED BEING HERE IS FUN!"
"Don't yell we're in the library you big poodle!" But Axel cackled with excitement grabbing me up in a head lock and rubbing his fist into my head.
"WOOOWEEEE WE GOTTA CALL LUKE HES GOTTA HERE WHAT YOU JUST SAID!"
Ack! Axel leapt up my head still in a strangle hold whooping with excitement.
"Luke-only call-in emergency's!" I managed out despite his strangling.
"THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! He'd die if he found out we didn't call him! WOOHOO!" And with that I was dragged bodily from the room paperwork forgotten by a giant grizzly bear of a man.

———————————

"Axel!" Hissed Chris and Troy but the big man ignores them standing on top of the long meeting room table phone in hand.
"IS HE CRAZY!"
Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought calling Luke was a horrible idea. Chris, George and Troy had been debating patrol routes when Axel burst into the room still dragging me along. George had attempted to get him but Axel has siezed the phone and leapt onto the long table and was running away from the others.
"Lukes going to kill him-"
George clambered onto the table even as Axel got into a fighting stance still clutching the satellite phone.
"Give me the phone Axel." Snapped George not amused in the slightest. "Now!"
"What's wrong?" My heart spazzed in my chest. Everyone in the room including myself froze bodies rigid aside from the Axel who gave a victorious grin.
"Howdy Luke-"
"Axel?" Luke sounded both confused and furious but Axel quickly switched t off of speaker as the others Hissed at him to turn off the phone.
"Boss man I had to call you about Aurora-"
A sound like an explosion loud enough for even me to hear echoed through the phone, and my heart pounded furiously. Luke-was he okay?
"What are you doing hold still!" Hissed Chris upon some odd instinct I had attempted to climb the table.
"No! No she's fine-she's-" Axel flinched at another incoherent yell on the other side of the phone. "But-Alpha-"
"Good give it to him Luke!" Troy seemed vindictive as he glared at the big monkey.
"AURORA SAID SHE WAS HAPPY TO BE APART OF THE PACK!"
"I didn't-"
"She What!?!" Apparently this was cause for shock as the others all stopped in trying to apprehend Axel and turned wide eyes on me instead.
"I-to clarify I said I wasn't an itty bitty who runs away when the fun ends-not that I-"
"OH MY GOD AURORA SAID ITS FUN!" Yelled Chris.
"Why does everybody jump to that conclusion?" But inside I wasn't irritated or unamused. I did find being apart of the pack fun-when I wasn't being yelled at or told what I could and couldn't do 24/7.
"Luke? Bro you there?" Asked Axel on the phone as the others made a ruckus cajoling me and throwing arms over my shoulders. "I gotcha! Yo! Luna you're junk is on the line for ya!"
Axel leapt off the table landing before me and thrusting the sat phone against my face.
"He-hey!" I stuttered barely catching it as Axel let go. The others all had gleeful smiles on their faces as they hushed each other like old women and stared at me waiting to hear what I-and because of their goddamn super hearing-Luke had to say.
"Hey there Princess." His deep husky voice sounded tired and scratchy but also warm and soft.
My voice caught in my throat at the sound of his voice.
"H-" I swallowed trying to summon up my voice and rid myself of the lump in my throat. "How are you?"
A dry chuckle on the otherside made my heart leap in my chest.
"I'm alright Princess, nothing to worry about." I could practically hear him shrug on the otherside of the phone.
"You sure? I know it's dangerous out there. You're eating right? No injuries-"
"Relax. It'd take more than a rogue pack to get me." He sighed and I could hear the exhaustion in his voice, although it didn't touch the pride that predominated his speech pattern. I could hear him shift on the opposite end of the line, it sounded like they were on the move. Before I could bug him further he spoke up. "So you having fun? Finally getting used to life around the house?"
I wanted to explain Id been misquoted and sniff those snooping buffoons grins out as they all listened in but something stopped me.
"Truthfully yeah," I agreed and the others got a wicked light in their eyes as they made a silent ruckus wrestling with each other and just being dorks. I let them, this was the first time since Luke had left I'd seen real happiness in their faces. "Though it'd be more fun if you were here too. These buffoons aren't that great entertainment. Do you know Chris and George made me watch The Notebook yesterday?"
Luke snorted on the other end and I hoped it was him laughing.
"I miss you too Aurora." His voice was soft, sweet and the lump filled my throat again. Tears stung my eyes.
What was wrong with me. The guys suddenly seemed ashamed as they all gestures and moved out the room Axel squeezing my arm as he left.
"You there baby girl?"
A strangled laugh echoed out my lips as I furiously wiped my eyes.
"I'm here."
There was a small pause on the other end.
"I'll be home soon, when I get back so you want to go out? I'll show you some things in town?"
I hadnt even realized but my knees had weakened with his voice. My butt hit the ground forcing me to lean back against the wall.
"You'd do that-but-"
"Anything for you..."
we both sat-or more I sat in silence thinking of his return.
"I'd like that." I mumbled.
"Then it's a-"
A horrible sound ripped through the sat phone along with the sound of crashing.
"Luke?" But with a very distinctive roar a pair of blood red eyes flashed before my vision as I heard Luke yell something on the other end. "LUKE!"
The door to the meeting room burst open as the guys came barreling back in eyes finding me quickly. I ignored their panicked expressions and their eyes scanning the room for danger. But snarling was the only thing on the other end and then a horrible snapping sound and screams before the sat phone made a noise we all knew to be the other one being crushed into pieces.
"LUKE!" My vocal chords felt like I'd ripped them my mind going numb.
"Aurora What-WAIT!"