Sleeping In

Elena’s POV

I suddenly awoke to the sun's rays shining upon my face. I groaned and looked over in Elijah’s direction to notice he was not there, although I noticed there was a note on the nightstand on his side of the bed. I quickly jumped out of bed and picked up the note. It read,

My Lovely Elena,

I apologize I was not there to greet your beautiful smile when you woke. I hope you slept well. I had some important business to attend to and forgot to inform you. Caroline called earlier. Perhaps you should visit her. I shall be back around 4 o’clock. I love you.

Love, Elijah.

I smiled and looked over at my alarm clock and gasped. It was nearly eleven o’clock. I never slept this late. Being an early bird, I usually got up around six. I dashed over to my dresser and quickly changed into dark denim shorts and a baby blue cami that crosses over in the back. Afterwards, I went to the refrigerator to see what I wanted for breakfast. I was just about to grab the strawberries when I felt very sick. I swiftly ran over to the bathroom and made it just in time before I vomited. After I was finished, I sat on the tile of the bathroom floor and tried to figure out what made me sick. I didn’t have anything for breakfast this morning yet, so that is ruled out. I went back to the kitchen and grabbed the thermometer from the cabinet and took my temperature. Everything was normal. I decided to make an appointment with a doctor for 2 o’clock; it was about time to go have a check-up anyway. After I finally ate breakfast, I called Caroline.

“Elena! How was your honeymoon? Where did you go? What was it like?” Caroline asked rapidly all at once.

“It was amazing. Actually, I was wondering if we could meet up at the Grill today,” I responded back.

“Oh my God yes! I am leaving right now,” Caroline squealed.

I laughed and replied, “Ok, Great. See you there”, I said and then hung up. I grabbed my purse and left the house to go meet Caroline.

When I finally got to Mystic Grill, Caroline was already sitting at a table outside the grill. When I got out of the car, she instantly saw me and smiled.

“Hey Mrs. Mikaelson,” she exclaimed excitingly as I ran over to her and gave her a hug.

“Caroline! I’ve missed you,” I responded back.

We talked for what it seemed like fifteen minutes when Caroline decided to order her a water. She asked if I wanted one too, but I told her I was good for now. When she got up to order, I took the time to check the time on my phone.

“Shit,” I whispered when I realized it was near 1:45.

I quickly stood up from the table and stared at the door of the grill, impatiently waiting for Caroline to come back. About 2 minutes later, Caroline walked out of the grill with her water in her hand.

I quickly walked over to her, “Caroline-I am so, so sorry but I have to leave right now. I have to be somewhere in ten minutes”.

 I didn’t dare tell her where or why I was going; she would worry and bother the hell out of me.

“Aww. Fine. But you owe me,” she pouted.

I told her goodbye and I quickly jumped in my car and took off to the doctor’s office. When I got there, it was 5 till 2. I didn’t have to wait at all; the nurse led me straight to my room.

I had to wait about five minutes until the doctor came into my room.

"Mrs. Mikaelson, how are you doing today?"

I smiled at her and replied, " Well, I am just fine right now and please, call me Elena."

I told her what happened this morning and she did a number of different tests while asking me questions. After she was done, she left the room for another few minutes.

When she returned, she had a big smile on her face and said, “Elena, I know exactly what is happening. You are pregnant.”