Sweet 14

M A C K E N Z I E

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I gave Lauren her present, before engulfing her in a bear hug.

"Thanks Kenz!" I smile and step aside as she greets her other guest.

The party was big. It was a mix of blue and green colors. Banners and streamers were everywhere in her backyard. I found my way over to the rest of the girls.

"Mackenzie!" They all say in sync. I smile.

I noticed that Jayden and Connor were dancing. My friends has it easier than me, they've never been family zoned before.

"Earth to Kenzie!" Annie brings me attention back to the group.

"Yes?"

"I was just talking about your outfit. It's fetch." I smile at the 'fetch' part.

"Thank you." I say. "So uh, I confessed. Well, he was already getting to that point ever since your's and John's conversation," I glance at Lauren who had came to our squad conversation . "And he doesn't feel the same way."

"Mackenzie." They give me that look.

"No, I'll get over it. Don't pity me gals, you know I hate it." I gave them a genuine smile.

Who needs boys when you have the best friends in the whole world?

They'll be your besties until they have boyfriends. Then, they'll ditch you and you'll be all alone.

The little voice in my head scared me. I never thought of it. I just imagined a happily ever after, but that's thrown it the trash, at least for me.

"Kenzie, whats wrong?" Lauren reaches up to my face. I felt her wipe away a liquid.

"Oh. Nothing." I made sure there were no more tears.

"Kenzie please. This is not a time to shut us out." Annie begs.

"It's silly and ridiculous," They both give me the 'really' look, "Fine. Will you guys leave me once you have your boyfriend?"

Many expressions were laid out in front of me. First, they were laughing happily, then confused for some reason, and finally shocked.

"What?" I ask.

"Mackenzie Frances Ziegler!" I gulp, they only say my full name when I'm in trouble, "It is against our girl code to leave a friend behind. Don't ever think that we would leave you!" Ruby shouts in a furious tone.

"I'm sorry!" I say shyly.

"And please, if you think that your the last one to have a boyfriend, you're wrong. We can be single ladies together." Annie reassures me.

"I'm lucky to have you gals." We pull into a group hug.

"Um what did I miss?" Jayden's voice calls from outside the circle of hugs.

"Well, you obviously missed a AWESOME party! You know, you could have called or text! That goes for you too Connor! And secondly, you missed two girl talks, which we will catch you up to. It's a girl code requirement." Ruby rants at Jayden.

Through her whole rant, only one thing caught my eye. Connor and Jayden not at the party. Connor and Jayden dancing closely with each other.

"Oh my cayden heart! Are you two dating?!" I blurt.

Jaydens cheeks instantly go red. Connor just walks away.

"Oh no you don't!" Ruby grabs him by the wrist, keeping him in place.

"Explanation now would be good. And before you say anything, it's apart of girl code." Lauren demands, both hands on her hips.

"Didn't you guys have a fight over butting in on peoples love life?" Annie asks out of topic.

"Annie, you should know by now that they fight and make up very quickly." I say.

"True. Now back to the topic of discussion. Jayden, are you dating Connor?" Her grips tightens on Connor.

"Fine, yes. But it's just one date. Nothing really serious!" She quickly reply to our question, mouthing a 'sorry' to Connor as he scrambles off.

"Weak. Couldn't handle one girl talk." Ruby shakes her head in a jokingly way.

Jayden nudges her shoulder. They both laugh, making all of us join in.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Please join us in singing Happy Birthday to Lauren!" Laur blushes a light shade of pink.

We put our arms on each others shoulders, swinging and rocking side to side.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LAUREN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU!" We all sang from the top of our lungs.

"Happy birthday Lauren. Where have the years gone? I remember when we brought you home from the hospital just like it was yesterday. Happy 14th birthday my sweet baby girl!" Meredith and Dale both smile in Lauren's direction.

I always envied her parents relationship. I wished my mom and biological dad had that, but what I have is enough for me. Greg is nice, he tries to fill in the shoes of my biological father, but it doesn't feel real.

I began tuning out everybody surrounding me when a loud screech came from on stage.

"Attention everyone!" We all give our attention to the curly brown haired boy on stage. Hayden.

"Um. I have something to say to Lauren." He stutters, which Lauren giggled at. "Lauren, I've known you for a while now, since childhood to be exact. And I want to tell you that over the years, I've grown some uh...feelings." A chorus of 'aww's were spread around the air. Lauren turned red, a big smile was spread across her face.

"You're pretty, more than than gorgeous, smart, caring, kind, and adorable. You're very unproblematic and I like that. I like you. So will you do the honors of going on a date with me?" He finishes off his speech, holding his breath for her answer.

The whole place was silent. All the girls knew the answer, I mean she's been crushing. I look at Lauren and she slowly opens her mouth.

"Yes." She whispers ever so gently.

Hayden smiles, jumping off the platform and running up to her. He pulls her in one of those massive bear hug, whispering things in her ears.

Probably 'thank you' or something like that. For a second, they didn't pull apart and I was afraid I was seeing their first kiss together but they eventually parted.

Smiling ear to ear, Lauren went to go cut the cake, with Hayden by her side. I could tell Johnny was happy and approved of him by his eyes.

His super sparkling and beautiful green eyes. Um, I meant cool eyes. Darn, Kenzie you're still falling for him.

I'm going to have to stop if I don't want to get hurt.
__________
IM BACK kiddos.

-celineeee🍂🌷