Chapter Two: Closer

Welcome back to chaper two! READ THE NOTE AT THE BOTTOM!

May 8th, 1800

Julie's POV

I close the book I was reading and set it off to the side, rubbing my eyes awake. Glancing out the small ship's window I see the weather is still grey and gloomy ever since that great storm hit us four days ago. The ship only took on minior damage which will be fixed in another few days but until then we are still here at Tortuga which is a blessing and a curse. I was able to obtain more suitable clothing for myself thanks to Howell but he insited on purchasing briefs for me, which is oddly comfortable but makes me look horribly manly.

I spend most, if not all, of my time in my chambers below the ship. Hiding from the beastly men that only seem to exist here and no where else. Howell does stop by when he can, always bringing me food or new books to read to help me pass the time. While Nate is spending a lot of his time with that gypsy trying too unlock the secret of the necklaces, and figure out where the second one hides. All I know about them is that they alone hold the ability to find where the mermaids hide and the power to destroy them, but Nate seems to think that gypsy knows more. 

Jealousy boils in the pit of my stomach and leaves a bitter taste in my tounge. But he barely speaks a word to me and seems to try and avoid me as much as possible. I wonder if he's embarssed or disgusted that he kissed me and deep down I hope he's just embarssed. As much as I try I cannot seem to push him away from my thoughts but a sudden knock at my door breaks me away from them. 

I leap up out of the uncomfortable bed, looking forward to Howell's visit since he's the only one who stops by. "Hello Howell!" I call out before opening the door but another face greets me. 

"I'm not Howell, love." The man says with a grin. Its the same man from before, the one with the ugly scars and smells just horrid! "Nate be seein' you now." 

"Comment osez-vous!" I shout when he snatches my arm with his greasy hands. 

Still holding my arm, he tilts his head back and laughs loudly. "You french women, always be makin' a fuss! I don't speak a lick of french, lovie."

"I said how dare you. Now release my arm!" I shout again, tugging my arm away but he does not let go and starts to pull me, making me lose my balance. "Descendez me! Let go!" 

He continues to drag me behind him, not allowing me to catch my balance and I stumble over my own feet. The man then shoves me infront of him and into the small dining area of the ship where Nate looks up and frowns at my arrival. 

"Mon Dieu, you barbaric man!" I growl, rubbing my arm that is growing red. Nate rises slowly out of his chair and I watch him closely, wary of his next move. He walks towards me and I take a step backwards towards the wall but he walks past and up to my escorter. 

With a loud grunt Nate slams his fist into the man's stomach and he falls to his knees with a groan. "I said to escort her, not shove her to me. Do it again, you'll wish you hadn't, understood Buccan?" Nate says calmly before shutting the door.

He turns and faces me, asking "Why the surpised look on your face?" 

"I didn't expect that." I murmer, avoiding eye contact. 

"You look different in briefs," he examines, "You look less frail." 

I scoff. "By that you mean less like a lady and more like a pirate, yes." I shift awkwardly on my feet, my cheeks starting to burn and feeling highly self concious. 

He chuckles softly, "No. Not like that at all." He guestures for me to sit down and moves back to his own seat across from me. 

Finally, I meet his eyes and still see the saddness that never seems to leave him. I look over his features again, his hard jaw, shining gold eyes and his handsome nose. A fine looking man, I thought to myself, if you look past his roughness. Perhaps that is why I feel this odd attraction is because he isn't like the boring men of society... 

"Are you listening?" Nate barks angerly. 

"Oh! Désolé, I hadn't known you were speaking." I quickly apologize. 

He lets out a sharp sigh before starting again. "Apparently the mermaids are in an entirely different relem which explains how they were able to hide from us for so long. The necklaces hold a map within their designs and we need both to make it complete. Once complete we will be able to find them to rid them from us forever. Although, the gypsy seems to believe my past somehow is the key to all of this but that is abusrd." 

I shake my head, "A different relem? Non! That gypsy plays you like a fool Nate." 

"I will find the second one, after bringing you back to your home. I have no use for you anymore." He says quietly. 

I leap out of my chair, furious. "Non! Then I take my necklace back!" 

"No."

"No?" I narrow my eyes at him. "No? It belongs to me! I spent much of my resources and time to just find it. You won't take it away from me so easily."

"It's simply too dangerous Julia." He sighs in annoyance. "Besides, it doesn't belong to you. It apparently was made for the Elder's children." He adds under his breath, "The most powerful mermaid's children, yeah right."

"Oh! Like you care! Menteur stupide! M'embrasser agir alors comme rien ne s'est passé! Moi joué comme un fou! Mon dieu!" I spit out, hot tears welling up in my eyes.

Nate approaches and puts his arms on my shoulders and I push him away. "Lâchez-moi, votre lecteur!" But he does not let go and puts his hand over my mouth. 

"You're shouting in french." He says with a smirk. "You seem to believe I do not understand french."

My heart stops in my chest, my face growing red. "Because you do not." I reply, turning away from him. I take in a deep breath and I inhale his scent, spicy but sweet. His hands are still placed on my arm and my skin burns with heat.

"I do." He says roughly and I feel his intese gaze on my cheek but I refuse to return his stare. "You may think I am a cruel and unforgiving man," he pauses before continuing, "and you'd be correct. I am ruthless, cruel, but I am not heartless Julia. Forgive my actions for I cannot simply forget that moment we shared." 

I gasp and look up at him, shocked at his words but I stay silent. "But no matter, this, simply won't happen." He says, finally releasing me. "You may stay if you'd like but this is a war. No place for ladies like you here."

And just like that, he leaves the room without another word. A single tear rolls down my cheek, stunned and hurt from his words. Another tear falls, filled with the shameful realization that this man is the man I'm falling in love with.

These first few chapters are short and supposed to leave you slightly confused. For all of you asking about Ch 1, re-read the ending of the last chapter and maybe you'll understand.

But if you still don't....good! >:) It will make sense later on though. 

NOTE: ***Semi Spoiler*** 

The necklaces are made for the Elder's children for a purpose. 

Added note: May 16th

Hey guys, I would really appreicate some feedback on my stories rather than just saying "update pleaseeee!!" its kind of annoying... The more responses I get the faster I write :)