Chapter Ten: Opal

Don't forget to vote (:

May 11th
Emmets POV

It's early morning when I decide to give up sleeping and go fetch some food despite not feeling hungry. I haven't eaten anything since yesterday morning before visiting Charlie because the thought of her in that state makes my stomach twist. The feeling of helplessness is overwhelming and I know my sister feels the same way.

After my sister and I arrived back our mother found us and declared our father is no longer the ruler of our kingdom. To my sister it did not come as a shock but the news means a different story to me. This means I might be king sooner than later but for now my mother will rule.

She then continues to tell us that our father is under close watch by the Elder's mate as he is a skilled healer but she fears there may be nothing to heal. This type of illness can only be defeated, not healed, and the fact it is even here meant that the King did not defeat his mother after all.

"Good morning Prince Emmet." A soft voice breaks me out of my deep thoughts. Looking up I meet the emerald eyes of Radiance.

"Radiance." I breathe and we embrace each other in a warm, friendly hug.

She looks at me with sad eyes. "How is she?" Sighing, I shake my head and Radiance looks genuinely disappointed. "I still feel so guilty." She chokes out.

I give her a weak smile. "It's not your fault. You know that."

Radiance sighs. "Yeah, it still doesn't make me feel any better."

I change the subject. "How's your mother?"

Radiance's face brightens. "Better. Although she constantly reminds me how sorry she is and she actually..." She bites her lip.

"What is it?"

"She's going to try and find my father." Her emerald eyes grow big with such hope it melts my heart.

I smile knowing that radiance has always wanted to know who her father is. "I'm happy for you!"

"Thank you." She replies nodding. She opens her mouth to say something else but then looks behind me, her eyes growing wide.

I turn and look to see two guards rushing towards me. "Prince Emmet! You must come quickly!"

"What's going on?"

"It's your sister." One says breathlessly.

Fear strikes my heart. "Aurora!?"

"No!" Radiance cries out.

The other guard shakes his head. "Opal."

Then my blood runs cold.

~

Nothing the healers said prepared me for what I saw. My dear sister will never be the same. Her beautiful pearl white tail has been permanently ruined and she can never swim on her own again. The fins of her tail are completely shredded by what it looks like a shark attack.

Covering her neck and torso are many cuts and dark, angry purple bruises. The healers did what they could to the gaping hole in my sisters side but it looked to be an old wound so there wasn't much they could do.

I glance over my shoulder and see Auroras face pale at the sight of our sister. "Opal!" She sobs rushing to our sisters side.

"Aurora you should not be here."

Aurora gives me a cold glare and I stay quiet. "Opal... Dear sister. What happened to you?" Aurora cries.

"I'm sorry princess but we need to work more on your sister. To heal her face so she does not have ugly scars to remind her of this cruelty." Hopper, one of the healers quietly says.

"Okay." My sister sniffles and I lead her outside to wait together. Both of us hoping she will awake soon.

~

"Prince! Princess! Please, hurry!" Hopper rushes out a few hours later. Her face is pale and she has dark bags under her eyes. It's clear she's exhausted.

"What is it?" I ask but she did not reply.

When my sister and I enter the room Opal is sitting up looking dazed but still manages a smile. "I'm so glad to see you..." Her voice cracks and she winces in pain.

"What happened!?" Aurora rushes but I place a hand on her shoulder as a reminder to stay calm. She ignores me.

Opal weakly smiles at me and I look into her eyes. I flash back to when I last saw her in the throne room. The wild look in her eyes, hungry for power. Uncharacteristic for her but then again dark magic does strange things.

"I'm sorry." Opal sobs, bowing her head in shame. "I let my magic grow too wild. I wanted revenge. I thought.... I just thought that if I got revenge the pain would go away but it just made it worse." She shutters at the memory.

I clasp my hand over hers. "You're forgiven sister. Tell us what happened."

"After the Elder came and father went wild I became afraid and so I ran. Ashamed of myself. I wanted to come back, I really did but then..." She starts to cry. "Then they came. The dark mermaids grabbed me. Blinded me. And took me to their queen. She wanted me to join her. Said she's been watching me.

Watching all of us.

I refused and then she... Oh gods the Sharks are on her side. The king is like her slave. She's powerful. Too powerful."

"The Queen?" My sister asks confused.

Opal nods, her eyes wild. "Yes. Yes! Father's mother still lives. All this time growing in power deep in the depths of the ocean."

I grow furious. "Why now. Why come out now?"

"Because she's here now..." Opal whispers.

"Who?" I demand.

Opal looks at me, her eyes desperate and so afraid. "Please tell me she's okay. Last I saw her... Oh gods brother. She needs to be okay."

Aurora bows her head. "Charlie's unwell."

Opals face grows even more pale. "The human will either be our savior or bring our doom. If she's already touched by the darkness then perhaps, we are already doomed."

~
Alright Charlie will return next. Decided to bring back Opal.