Chapter Nine: Unfolding

Sorry my loves. The story will return to Charlie after this chapter. Might be a longggg chapter. Sorry not sorry :)

Nates POV
One hour ago

For a long time I am submerged in darkness. No light or sound ever comes through the darkness and I begin to believe I am dead. That this darkness is my death. Doomed to be alone for the rest of eternity with only my thoughts to keep my company. Although it is not long that I was driven mad by the darkness. The deep sharp pain that came along with it. A reminder that I still was unable to find my sister.

I screamed as loud as I could for what I felt like went on for days. Or hours. Or even minutes. I could not tell time in this dark hell. Until finally I collapsed from exhaustion and fell silent.

I started to think about the dream I had. The dream I had wasn't really a dream but a memory. A forgotten memory forced upon me by my own mother. She left me, helpless and alone, with Charlie. The confusion I had felt at the time started to come back now along with the sadness of being abandoned. Until then my mother wiped away my memory.

But why? And how could have she done this to me. To us. To two young children! She was our mother!

I let out another cry of agony, one I have ignored for years and slammed my hands against the darkness. Then, to my surprise. The darkness rumbled. It creaked and groaned loudly under the force of my hands. I did it again but nothing happened.

When you are ready... Then you'll be free. The gypsy had said.

"Ready for what!" I roared despite nobody being around to hear my desperate cries.

So weak boy. Don't let anyone see your tears for those are your weaknesses coming to light. You hungry boy? Then eat! The familiar voice of Black Blood echoes though my mind. The first words he had ever spoken to me.

The memory came clear to me. I was dressed in torn rags. Two years after my mother had left, two years after I had forgotten my mother. I had hidden Charlie away in a chicken coop while I went out to beg for coin. A noble lady leaned down to give me coin until her husband snatched her away and pushed me down onto the muddy ground.

Moments later a large, rather intimidating man came and picked me up off my feet. Black Blood. The man I adopted as my father, though I never called him one, took me and my sister in at that very moment. Saw potential in me he had said.

The memory then faded and the darkness rumbled again. Cracks started to show and pieces fell to the ground letting in astoundingly bright light in.

The atmosphere changed all around me. Wind blew in my face, no it was water. I'm underwater. For a moment I panic. Water fills up my mouth and I force myself to hold it in until I can't any longer. My final breath of air bursts though my mouth in a fury of bubbles and I prepare myself for the sensation of drowning but it never comes.

I hesitantly take a small breath and found I can breathe. From the little light shining through the cracks I look around and confirm I am completely underwater and breathing. I stumble back in shock and see a glimmer of something in the water. I look down and see a long, silver tail below me.

I panic. Thinking a shark is after me and hurriedly try to kick my legs up to the surface to swim away but my legs do not respond. I stay there floating in the water, motionless and I look down again afraid to see I am tied down. Left to die.

But the only thing I see is the silver tail. I lift my ragged shirt above my stomach and realize... I've been turned into a bloody mermaid! Silver scales connect my torso to the tail which are decorated with elaborate white designs then fans out in a large dolphin like fins.