Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

Jake Firenze

“You are so screwed,” I chuckled as Rylan huffed and sent a glare my way. I sat on his plush couch and stared at his sulking figure. “She’s got a good arm,” I cradled my broken arm and tenderly popped the bone in place.

“Like hell she does,” he looked over me with worry and desperation in his eyes. “I have really ruined my chances. I am not worthy of her at all.” His head dropped into his hands in defeat.

“At least she is not bearing someone else’s child,” I blurted out, thinking about Ella.

His head quickly snapped up and his sad eyes met mine. “My dear friend, I do believe it’s time that you fill me in on what I have missed.”

“If that is what you wish,” I sighed, trying to think of all the events that have transpired over the past weeks. “Arabella took over as soon as you succumbed into a comatose state. She looked over the Grant’s financial reviews and has seen many discrepancies in the reports. She visited the pack herself and Austin… Well he was being Austin,” I rolled my eyes, as the all too familiar anger coursed through my veins. “Arabella found him and Ella… In a compromised position. Turns out he was not only taking advantage of the Grant’s wealth but also of the innocent she-wolves.”

Rylan walked over and sat on the cushion opposite of me. “And Eli’s daughter is your mate?”

“Yes and she is bearing Austin’s damned child,” I snarled, feeling my wolf trying to claw its way out of me. “She looked so damn helpless and scared… I…”

“What happened then? You must calm down,” Rylan spoke softly, looking at me with concern. Ever since my brother left and my father died, Rylan took over their position and became one of the best friends I could ever ask for. “You cannot continue if you keep growling like a dog,” he snickered at his pun.

“Ha-ha,” I rolled my eyes and continued on." He challenged Arabella and eventually, she killed him. You should’ve seen her, Rylan. She partially shifted. Instead of bursting into a six foot wolf, her fingers grew claws and her arms grew hair. It was a terrifying sight!”

“She has shifted?” His brows furrowed in confusion.

“Yes! She killed Austin and earned the trust of the Grant pack members,” I sighed heavily as the dreadful part of my story came up. “She found out that Ella was my mate and she practically stripped me out of my Beta duties. She handed the Grant Pack over to Nicolai and had me become Ella’s body guard. For the past couple of days, Arabella has been going from pack house to pack house. She wanted to make sure that there were no more leaders like Austin. She has been a great leader.”

“Thank you, Jake,” Rylan looked over me with a slight frown on his lips. “Why are you still here? Why are you not fulfilling your duties as a pack member and mate?”

“I may be bound to my mate, but I am also bound to you, Alpha. I could not control the urge to come back, because of our bond,” My head began to throb at the thought of my Ella so far away from me.

“What is this bond?”

“I have been able to stay away from my mate because of the blood promise I once made to you. Do you not remember that day my brother took her away…? How you were a wreck and made me promise that with or without my mate, as your Beta, my soul belonged to you?”

“I cannot recall…. Shit,” Rylan cursed, looking at me, wide eyed. Realization filled his eyes and were replaced with remorse moments later.“Shit! I am sorry.”