EIGHT

Magoa (n.)

a heartbreaking feeling that leaves long-lasting traces, visible in gestures and facial expressions

-Collie's Journal, Edition 2

  COLLIE gripped her sheets tightly as she awoke, lying on her side uncomfortably

  COLLIE gripped her sheets tightly as she awoke, lying on her side uncomfortably. She sat up, rolling her stiff shoulders and licking her lips. Her head ached softly and the world somehow felt different, felt off.

  She remembered what had happened the previous night and looked to the window, where early morning light filtered in. Feeling hollow, she stood and padded toward her bedroom door.

  "Mother?" Collie called as she came down the stairs. Silence met her, and she hesitantly entered the kitchen, where everything was neat and in its place.

  "Collie," Eleanor spoke. Collie turned to see her mother standing in the doorway, ready for work. "Did you get enough sleep?" Collie glanced down and shuffled her feet.

  "I'm sorry about last night, I was just... really tired," She spoke. Eleanor nodded and walked past her, setting her purse on the counter.

  "It's fine," Eleanor said, "I understand that you must be tired, what with Will missing. But what I'm curious about is what happened to the bathroom mirror...?"

  Collie's heart beat quicker as her mind raced.

  "The mirror?" She blurted out. "What happened to it?" She figured she couldn't tell her mom what actually happened, so it was best to play dumb.

  Eleanor raised an eyebrow at her.

  "...It's broken." She placed a hand on her hip. "You don't know what broke it?" Collie shook her head furiously.

  "No. I haven't even seen it," she replied, hoping she sounded convincing. Eleanor studied for a moment, then hummed.

  "Alright... Well, I'll have it fixed. I've got to go, have a good day," She whisked out the door and Collie let out a breath of relief, silence flooding the room.

  She jumped as the kitchen phone suddenly rang, her heart pounding as she picked it up and brought it to her ear.

  "Hello?" Collie asked a bit shakily, gripping the wound cord. The other line was quiet for a moment.

  "Collie?" The voice questioned. Collie shifted the phone to her other ear, leaning on the counter.

  "Nancy?"