ELEVEN

Basorexia (n.)

the overwhelming desire to kiss

-Collie's Journal, Edition 1

  COLLIE sat wrapped up in two blankets on Nancy's bed, staring off into space as she leaned against Jonathan

COLLIE sat wrapped up in two blankets on Nancy's bed, staring off into space as she leaned against Jonathan. Her hair was tied in a bun atop her head, wet from the shower she'd taken. Nancy sat with them, exchanging concerned glances with Jonathan as Collie sniffed, her eyes red from crying.

"I'm gonna take a shower," said Nancy, breaking the tense silence. When she was gone, Jonathan turned Collie to face him.

"Ollie," he murmured as her eyes focused on him, "please talk to me. Tell me what you saw," Collie remained silent, staring at him as he ran his fingers up and down her arm. His touch was warm and comforting, causing her to sigh heavily. Finally, she spoke, her voice strained,

"I-It was... the same, just not." Jonathan gave her a questioning look. "I mean, it was the woods, but... it was like an alternate version. Everything was grey and dead, and it was almost like it was snowing. And... it was there, eating the deer,"

Jonathan pulled her to him and hugged her tightly, allowing her to nuzzle her face into his chest. She inhaled his smell, clinging to him like her life depended on it.

"I'm so sorry, Collie," he whispered.

"There's something else," Collie said as they released each other, "it... grabbed me, but, I think somehow... I made it fly off of me." She explained what had happened, as well as when she shattered her mirror at home.

When she was finished, Jonathan stared at her.

"Woah..." he breathed. She cringed slightly, glancing away as her ears turned pink.

"Yeah, now I really am a freak," she muttered. Jonathan reached up and gently cupped her jaw, tilting her head to face him. He touched her forehead to hers and said firmly,

"Collie... you are not a freak. You are a wonderful, beautiful person. And I feel sorry for the people who can't see it, because they're missing an amazing storm. All they have to do is step outside and see the lightning flash across the sky, hear the thunder in the distance, even if it means getting wet from the rain."

Fresh tears welled in Collie's eyes as she stared at Jonathan, unable to speak. Their faces had gotten closer, only inches apart, and he began to lean forward when Nancy suddenly entered the room. She froze in her tracks and stared with wide eyes as Jonathan and Collie turned to look at her.