NINE

Cimmerian (adj.)

very dark, gloomy

-Collie's Journal, Edition 1

  THE day of Will's funeral, Collie stood with Jonathan, both silent and somber as they held hands and stared blankly at the casket in the grave

  THE day of Will's funeral, Collie stood with Jonathan, both silent and somber as they held hands and stared blankly at the casket in the grave. Joyce, who sat beside them, shook her head in anger and exhaustion, scoffing throughout the service.

  The sky overhead was gloomy and filled with clouds, painted with greys and accompanied by the occasional roll of thunder.

  'Cimmerian', Collie mouthed silently. However, despite her upset expression, she knew that wasn't Will in that casket.

  When the funeral ended, Jonathan and Collie walked from the crowd and to a small fenced-off grave, where Nancy met them a moment later. All three sat against the fence as Jonathan pulled a small map from his pocket and unfolded it.

  "This is where we know for sure it's been, right?" He said, pointing to X marks along the map.

  "So that's..." Collie trailed off.

  "Steve's house," Answered Jonathan. "And that's the woods where they found Will's bike, and that's my house," He pointed to each of the X's.

  "It's all so close," observed Nancy thoughtfully. Jonathan nodded,

  "Yeah, exactly. I mean, it's all within a mile or something. Whatever this thing is, it's not traveling far," Collie gazed at him, studying his expression.

  "You want to go out there," she said at last. Jonathan nodded and shrugged.

  "We might not find anything," He added.

  "I found something," Nancy voiced. "And if we do see it... then what?" Collie looked to her feet, hugging her knees to her chest. After a minute of silence, Jonathan stated,

  "We kill it." He stood and took Collie's hands into his own, gently pulling her to her feet. He led the two girls to a car parked in the lot, which Collie recognized as Lonnie's. Jonathan played with the lock on the glove box, attempting to pick it.

  "What are you doing?" Questioned Nancy after a moment.

  "Give me a second," Jonathan dismissed. Finally, the lock popped open and he reached inside, extracting a handgun and checking to see if it was loaded.

  "Woah," Collie breathed.

  "Are you serious?" Nancy demanded, glancing over her shoulder to check that they were alone.