TWELVE

Morosis (n.)

the stupidest of stupidities

-Collie's Journal, Edition 1

  COLLIE, Jonathan, and Nancy snuck out from the Wheeler's house through the window and drove to the army surplus store, set on stocking up for what they planned to do

  COLLIE, Jonathan, and Nancy snuck out from the Wheeler's house through the window and drove to the army surplus store, set on stocking up for what they planned to do. As they entered the store, Nancy couldn't help but smirk at Collie and Jonathan's interlocked hands.

  Inside, Collie carried a basket full of their supplies, casually strolling down the isles as though she were grocery shopping. She picked up a mallet, examining it before dropping it in. Nancy added nails, and soon Jonathan placed a large bear trap in. They all shared a glance, then walked up to the register to pay.

  As Jonathan heaved a red tank onto the counter, the cashier stared at them incredulously, his mouth slightly agape. 

  "And, um, four boxes of the .38s," requested Jonathan. The man retrieved the bullets and set them down, his eyes sweeping over them and their items.

  "What are you kids doing with all this?" He questioned after a moment. The three were quiet before Collie offered her sweetest smile.

  "Monster hunting," she replied innocently. The man hummed and nodded skeptically, but nonetheless began to scan their things.

  Once outside, the three made their way back to the car as Jonathan gave Collie a crooked smile.

  "Monster hunting?" He inquired, opening the trunk and setting the box of weapons inside. Collie shrugged as Nancy said with a light sigh,

  "You know, last week I was shopping with Barb trying to find a new top that I thought Steve might like. It took us all weekend, it seemed like life or death." She glanced to the other two with a smirk. "And now-"

  "Now you're shopping for bear traps with Jonathan Byers and Collie Raynes," Collie finished with a smile. Nancy nodded.

  "Yeah, pretty much," she said.

  "What's the weirdest part," Jonathan asked as he shut the trunk, "us or the bear traps?" Nancy glanced between the two and replied with a giggle,

  "You two, definitely you two." The three laughed, but only for a second. A car passed them on the street and a boy leaned out the window, grinning.

  "Hey Nancy, Raynes, can't wait to see your movie," The car sped away, leaving the three of them staring after it. Nancy and Collie glanced to each other, their brows furrowed.