329 DAYS OF IRENE

329/500  

-

author's note: i'd suggest you to read chapter 322 days of irene before reading this part as this chapter is written after that mentioned chapter. once again, do note that this is happening AFTER they broke up. thank you!

-

if you haven't noticed, it has been a week since we've broken up. and to tell you the truth, i am not doing any better without her. sure, just like my mom said, "why bother dating a girl who doesn't want to marry you? i mean, isn't that love is "all about"? get married, have babies and die? 

being with irene never felt like that. it felt foreign. it was as if going into a wine store and spotting coca-cola at the corner -  she was the coca-cola; she was the one who convinced me that being different from other people was never a bad thing, that you just have to trust yourself and do what you feel like doing. and so, a week ago, she wanted to break up with me. she just went for it. no hesitations or doubts. she just woke up that day and knew she didn't want to be with me anymore.

you know, on the one hand, i want to forget her. but on the other hand, i know she's the only person in the entire universe that will make me happy. you're pathetic, you know that right, seulgi?

nonetheless, summer break ended and she was nowhere to be seen on the campus. rumors flew around saying how she dropped out of university to pursue music. although it was just a rumor, i was convinced - i mean after all, she did what she wanted anyway. as much as a bitch she is, there is no in denying on how brave, courageous and carefree this girl is. 

"this week's assignment would be to design a card. i want you guys to design a card to anyone - your mother, your best friend or even your girlfriend!" shouted mr smiles, our professor, as he shouted across the room in enthusiast. card? girlfriend? as i heard these two words in a sentence together, i can't help but to silently scoff in disbelief. 

"now... why would i want you guys to do that? to me, i think cards are a good way to express your feelings. and this skill will be beneficial for you in the future course." mr smiles smiled awkwardly, as he slowly turned and fixed his eyes on me. "miss seulgi, mind explaining why in the world would i ask you guys to design a card?"

his sarcastic tone threw me off as i felt my pale cheeks blush in waves of anger, for a minute i thought tears were going to drip down my uninviting face, but i quickly recollected my emotions and tried to stable my voice, 

"you know what? this is lies, we are liars. think about it. why do people buy and write cards? it's not because they want to say and express how they feel. people do that because they can't say express and say what they really feel. with cards, it provides service to let us cowards off the hook. how about you, mr smiles - go back home and say to your wife that you really love her like you mean it, before she sign off a divorce paper. thank you." 

from across the room, seulgi could hear her best friend's voice wailing around the hall, "well someone's in a bad mood!"

-

one thing i noticed was that, passing time without her felt slow. and sitting at a cafeteria felt really odd after being kicked out of mr smiles's class. sure i deserve it, but i don't deserve to be rejected twice. twice!  

as the cafeteria filled its space with people, seulgi could spot joy and wendy walking to her from a distance. she could feel their smirks, laughing and making fun of her. "okay guys. i get it. don't have to rub it in my face." i said in annoyance.

"what you did just know was stupid.. but incredibly funny. how did you know smiles and his wife was in bad terms. damn i thought it was a rumor." muttered joy silently.

"i know right. he was pretty upset. he totally confirmed it," replied wendy. "anyway. look at you honey. you're still not over her? she's the most basic chick i know i don't understand why she's still in your head. get over it. you're ruining everyone's mood."

gripped fists and shivering wrists made me think twice in what i was about to say - therefore i hold my tongue back as i continued to eat silently. 

"listen gi. my brother had dated 30 different girls. total different personalities. but he met the one and now he's married to her. maybe irene was one of the best girlfriends you've had, but she's not the one. not anymore. and you just have to get over it." said wendy.

seulgi turned her eyes and stared harsh at wendy, "uh... no disrespect miss wendy, aka love therapist, but um, that is total shit."

in which wendy swiftly replied, "doesn't make it less true."

seulgi kept that phrase repeated in her head. like a mantra - it possessed her to do something she was afraid of doing. for once, she told herself - "it's time to get over the love of my life."