Chapter 2 story 3

The creature was covered in thick, dark brown fur and was huge, at least the size of a bear, though it looked more like a wolf. Darel watched in horror as it opened its giant mouth, barring its many sharp teeth. He took a sudden step back, and tripped over a root. He fell on his back, and the monster loomed over him, its saliva dripping onto his pajama shirt. Letting out a strangled yelp, Darel scrambled to his feet. He whirled around around and raced back to his house, the creature hot on his heels. The air around him grew humid as he panted for breath, forcing his legs to go faster, trying to outrun the brown, hairy blurr. It was getting close, using all four of its powerful legs to propel it to him.

Darel could see the early morning sunlight at the opening of the trees at the beginning of the forest. He broke out from the trees, and whirled around to face them. A confused look came over his face.

"Maybe it was all my imagination, but no, it couldn't have been, it was too real," he thought when he saw that the creature was gone.

Darel knew he had to have been out all night, and was shocked, it seemed that not minutes ago he had stood on his back porch.

His hands shook as he opened the door and stepped into the kitchen.

His mother was pouring coffee into a blue mug, and Sam was sitting at the little table eating pancakes.

"Where were you?" His mother asked calmly, turning towards him. Darel froze. When he opened his mouth the truth didn't come out, instead a lie.

"I went out for a quick run." HIs mom nodded, unsuspecting.

" You must be very hungry, have some pancakes." Darel tried to eat, but found it difficult as the lie turned his stomach to knots, as well as images of the beast he had seen minutes before, all teeth, claws, and fur.