Chapter 2

SHe spun around, to try to run away, but three more were at the other end.  Her breath came in short gasps, as she tried to think up a plan.  The "things" came closer.

Hopping onto the edge of the bridge, she looked behind her at the calm river below.  Just as they were about to leap at her, she flipped herself into the river, causing a great splash , that hit the beasts.  It sent them scurrying into the forrest.

When she emerged she was sopping wet.  The river's muky, mud-based bottom stuck to her shoes.  When she looked at her reflection it was distorted by the water's ripples.  Even without the river's help she knew she was a mess.

As she kept walking water poured out of her shoes, making a sloshing noise.  The moon shone high in the sky, it was very late.  Suddenly she jumpd, as a small, black cat ran across her path.  It was just another bad omen, all she needed to make this the worst night.

When she finally made it home, it was nearly dawn.  Her "home" was a small room that she slept in when she wasn't out trying to earn some coin to pay for it.  It was really just a pallet and two piles of wadded-up clothes, one for clean, the other for dirty.  She tiredly changed into sleepwear and layed down down on the the pallet, immediately  fell asleep.

It seemed that she'd just closed her eye, when she heard avoice calling her name,Ariana, and telling her to get up.  She pulled herself out bed and out to the shop, where she worked.