Chapter 1 story 3

The sky was a deep, midnight blue, and everything was calm and peaceful. Darel lay in his small bed, listening to his brother, Sam's, deep breathing coming from the pile of blankets on the bed across from his. After a bit he decided to get some fresh air.

Darel moved like a ninja, creeping out of the shared room, trying not to wake Sam. He was almost out of the bedroom door, when his foot jolted up in pain. He looked down at the floor, and vaguely made out the shape of a Lego. Darel quickly picked it up and continued his way out the door, and to the kitchen, scanning the floor carefully.

Finally, he made it to the kitchen, and could see the back door. He walked over to it, his bare feet padding across the linoleum, and eased the door open.

Stepping outside, Darel closed the door, and took a deep breath of the cool, summer's night air.

He stared out at the thick woods behind his house, then jumped at the sound of a sudden rustle from within the trees.

"It's just a rabbit," Darel said aloud, though in a whisper. His mind faltered in believing that it was true, the rustle was too loud, and it sounded big, too big.

It sounded again. Darel took a tentative step towards the first bushes of the woods. As he walked further into the trees, a shadow suddenly raced across in front of him.

"Hello?" He called out softly, fear evident in his voice. His only response was a deep growl, but the creature did creep out from behind the bush that it was hiding in. The beast was unlike anything he'd ever seen.