Chapter 1

'In a time when war devastates the land, heros are called upon to fulfill their destiny. Their power and wit is beyond comparable, and they serve to bring glory to their flight and the world. Heros are made, not born. Only in the darkest night can they find their true potential, and answer the never ending call that is life...'

Snap.

The tip of the pen broke and bounced off the table, before skittering somewhere into the corner of the room. He sighed, putting down the other half and picked up a new one.

Sunlight peeked through the curtains wearily, doing little to settle the chill in the air. He slumped on his bed, sucking on the end of the pen experimentally as he read the paragraph again.

Too choppy. Could probably rephrase some of the sentences. That intro is so cliche...

The paper tore and he crushed it in his fist before throwing it aross the room. It completely missed the bin and fell on the floor as he buried his face in his claws.

Can't even shoot straight.

Grumping, he tugged amother sheet out of his pile and was about to start writing again when something slammed against his door.

He didn't even have time to stand when the entire dooeframe came crashing down, debris falling everywhere. The ceiling creaked.

He groped blindly for his sword, drawing it out. The blade felt too heavy in his claws and it was slick with his sweat. He could barely see, but maybe if he stayed quiet and attacked them by surprise -

"OH MY WARDEN! I'M SO SORRY, I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT YOU WERE STILL FIXING THE DOOR FROM LAST TIME I BROKE IT AND I'M REALLY SORRY ACTUALLY OH MY WARDEN PLEASE DON'T KI -"

"Tas!" He sheathed his sword, exasperated. He reached out and pulled his friend up from the half collapsed remains of his door. "What... are you doing here?"

The Wildclaw recoiled. "You're not going to start screaming at me about the door?"

"You're paying for it."

"Oh come on!"

"You broke it, so you're paying it. With your own money." He kicked the sword, sheath and all, under his bed, not taking his eyes off his face. "You owe me a door, a doorframe and a roof. Also a flowerpot since my favorite one shattered."

"Alright, fine, I'll try and get all the stuff here tomorrow."

"Good. Now tell me, why are you in my hou -"

"Hey!" He leapt forwards, scattering dust everywhere and snatched up one of his pens. "Are these Inkeepers?"

"Give it back!" Ajax swiped it out of his claws. "I bought them from the Trading Post last week, alright? They were on sale anyhow, and my last quill broke."

"They're overated. Do you even know what type of wood they use? I've heard rumours that they source it from that creepy dead forest on the outskirts of the Labyrinth -"

"I don't want to hear it," he answered, suddenly feeling sick. "I dont care what they use so long as I can write with it."

"Why do you need so many pens anyhow? Are you writing again?" Tas' foot suddenly crunched on something and he picked up a squashed ball of paper. "Did you just throw away another draft?"

"Hey," The Tundra leaned forward warningly as he started opening it. "Don't read it -"

"In a time when war devastates the land, heros are called upon to fulfill their destiny." He glanced up quizzically. "Ajax, this is actually really good. Why did you throw it out?"

He threw hinself onto his bed. "Multiple reasons. It's cliche, the wording is bad, I hate myself and my stupid life."

"Bro, don't give up. Just think it through and try again."

"Do you think I haven't tried that already?"

"Yes - I mean, no, if course not, but still -"

"Tas, stop avoiding the question and just tell me why you're here. I'm just in a really bad mood, okay? I don't want an arguement."

The Wildclaw flopped down next to him. "It's Pandra. She wants us to train again."

His heart fell. "Seriously? Didn't we go yesterday?"

"I already tried telling her that. She said, 'No', and that if we don't turn up tomorrow she's going to scream, wring our necks and exalt our bloody corpses to the Icewarden."

"I don't think that's legal."

"No, it definitely isn't," he agreed. "But count on Pandra to break the law. I've heard that she was a criminal on the loose before she arrived in the Icefields. That's why she's so competent at killing things."

After a minute or two of silence, he sat up slowly. "Do you wanna, uh, go outside or something? Throw some rocks? Blow off some steam? Where are your parents?"

"Out." He rolled onto onto his stomach and stared at the wall blankly. "They're in the Training Fields whipping some recuits into shape. They'll be back by sundown."

"And they leave you alone at home with the door unlocked?"

"Oh, that's how you got in. I thought you broke down the front door too."

"Hey!"

"Joking, you nutcase." He lazily grabed his leg as the Wildclaw made to leave. "Although that'd be pretty funny, for me, that is. My parents might complain to yours and boom, suddenly you're grounded for life."

He whacked him with his tail. "Let go of my leg."

He obliged. "Actually, I think I'll try and repair the door. It looks like only the cement came off, and most of the door is fine. I think I still have some left over from last time." He stood up, stepping over the frame and left the room, his friend closely behind.

"If I help you, you won't tell my parents about this?"

"More like, if you DON'T help me, MY parents are going to come home, see this mess, and tell YOUR parents." He grabbed a spade leaning on the wall and threw across the room. Tas yelped and caught it, almost dropping it on the ground."So get moving, Mr. Okul."

"I hate it when you call me that," he grumbled. "At least I don't address you as Mr. Reijal every single time we see each other."

He shoved him playfully. "I thought you were the joker around here."

"Stop that. Ugh, meet me at the door tomorrow, okay? I ain't facing her alone."

"Deal. Alright, enough talking. Let's get to work."

~Word Count: 1076
~Total: 1076