How to change a life; chapter 14

A/N: Ok, I know I said this would be longer, but I had a change of heart at the last minute of the ending of the story. So, because it's short I have decided to upload two chapters today. I hope y'all are happy with the end of this one :) x

________________

Chapter Fourteen

Coming to my senses.

Harry and I lay by the fire, while he played away on his guitar softly and I watched the flames dance around in time with the music. My health was deteriorating badly, I was getting around in either a wheelchair or in Harry's arms. Sure, I could stand, but I could hardly walk at all. It was embarrassing.

"You know when I said you couldn't change me?" I said between his musical chords.

"Yeah?" he asked, but continued to play.

"I lied. You have changed me. Look at me, I'm going soft and I actually think this is nice. Before I would have thought, sitting by the fire with music playing was kinda stupid."

"Why?"

"Isn't that like an opening to a porn movie or something?"

He laughed. "Maybe it is."

"And another thing." I propped myself up on my elbow and put my hand over the neck of his guitar so that he couldn't interrupt me with his hypnotically music. "You ARE reason enough for me to stay alive. I just... I cant and one day you'll understand."

"How can I possibly understand?" he asked sadly.

"You just will." I lay back down on the fluffy rug and stared back into the flames. Harry sighed and the music began to play again.

"So what are you doing two weeks on Friday?" he asked casually.

I shrugged. "I don't know, why?"

"Will you go to prom with me?"

"No." I smirked. "I wont go to prom with you or anyone for that matter because I don't want to go at all."

"Why the heck not?" he demanded.

"Harry please, can you seriously picture me at prom? In a dress? Dancing?" I looked at his face, he was smiling... well more like smirking. He had just proved me right. "My point exactly."

"Well, then what if I made a little prom of our own? You can wear jeans and old sneakers if you want." he offered.

I hesitated. "What do you have in mind?"

"You'd have to wait and see." he grinned and continued playing Aerosmith for me. "I think this is our song."

I laughed and pretended to gag. "We have a song now? Do we have nicknames too? That is so mushy. You know sometimes I wonder who the guy is in this relationship."

Harry put his guitar down and kissed my nose before laying beside me. "I like that."

"Like what? That I'm more butch than you? Perhaps you are going out with the wrong person in my circle of friends... you know Chase and Jess are a thing, but I'm still convinced he's in the closet..."

"I meant I like that you consider... us... a relationship."

I nodded and looked up at him, his lashes were casting dark shadows and hiding his little freckles that I secretly loved. "Well It's not like a marriage, but I take it as seriously as you do."

"Good." he said and kissed me lightly. However when he pulled back his eyes were glinting a glint that I knew very well. I was tempted to sigh and give into temptation, but my bones were sore and I wasn't strong enough.

"Harry I can't." I told him. "I still feel a little sore."

"Ok." he whispered and pulled me against his chest. "So if you wont go to prom with me will you at least come to a party with me on Saturday, my friends wanna meet you."

"Oh and I'm DYING to meet them too." I grinned.

"Not funny." His eyes turned to slits as he glared at me and then quickly pulled away and looked up at the clock. "You should go to bed soon, you look tired. I'll be right back." And with that he was gone.

"Do you expect me to CRAWL up the stairs?!" I called after him, but there was no reply. I lay back down and sighed in frustration. He wouldn't leave me there all night... would he?I shook my head and closed my eyes. I couldn't fall asleep there I would have horrible back cramps in the morning. 'Just five minutes' I told myself.

"Rayleigh? Baby wake up."

I opened my eyes and found Harry hovering above me with a smile on his face. He scooped me up and carried me upstairs like I weighed nothing. "I have something for you."

"What?" I asked drowsily.

He turned and kicked the bathroom door open. Lit candles sat everywhere, lighting the room with a warm glow. He had run me a bath filled with bubbles and rose petals. It was... beautiful. "Wow, Harry you really went all out."

"You've had a rough couple of days." he smiled and sat on the toilet, pulling me down onto his lap.

"Thank you." I kissed his forehead.

Harry's hands reached for my shirt and pulled it off up over my head leaving me feeling exposed. He chuckled and reached around to unhook my bra. "It's not like I haven't seen it all before, Rayleigh."

"Yeah, but its different now cause you're actually paying attention to what you're looking at." I flushed bright red.

"I always pay attention." he told me and threw my bra over in the laundry basket along with my underwear. I felt so stupid and awkward just sitting there naked.

Harry lifted me into the bath. The water was amazing and the bubbles smelt great. I turned around and Harry soaked my back with a sponge, letting the water run down every inch of me. I smiled as he kissed my shoulder. God, I love him. "Harry, I..."

"Yeah?"

"I wanna do it for you." I told him. "I wanna take the treatment."

"A-are you serious?" he spluttered. "That's amazing, I... I cant believe it. You're really going to do it?"

I smiled and looked back at him. "Yeah. I don't want to hurt you anymore."

His smile faded and he cupped his face. "Forget about me, this is about you. What do you want?"

I pushed my pride aside and sighed. "I wanna be with you. Always." Harry's eyes widened in surprise. He's always known how I felt, but I had never told him so seriously before. That was as close to 'I love you' as I had ever gone. "I push you away with all my smart ass remarks." I admitted. "But I'm not afraid to open up anymore."

Harry kissed me until I couldn't breath and hugged me tightly, despite the fact that I was soaked with bath water. "I love you so much."

"I... I know." I frowned and cursed myself for not saying it. I wasn't afraid to open up, but I wasn't quite ready either.