How to change a life; chapter 13

A/N: Heeeeyyyy, sorry this is just a short chapter but I was torn between two decisions for this one, the story could have gone two ways. I just hope I chose the right one. Ch14 will be longer (: x

____

Chapter Thirteen

FedEx's hottest delivery.

I woke up the next morning laying between a drooling Chase and a very uncomfortable looking Jess. I rubbed my eyes and looked over at the clock. Crap in a hat. We were late for school. Six hours late! It was two o'clock in the afternoon.

I smashed my pillow against their faces, making them sit up with a groan.

"Do you know what time it is?!" Chase hissed groggily.

"Uh, yeah, that's why I'm waking you up douche bag! Do you normally just wake up at like dinner time, cause that's where you were headed with out a wake up call. Its two pm!"

"You could have shook me lightly." he mumbled.

"Like mommy does? Did you want me to kiss your head, too? Bring you breakfast in bed?!" I pushed the covers off me and headed into the bathroom for a shower. "Just be glad it was the pillow and not a rock!"

The warm water was amazing against my skin. I had made it extra hot just to wake me up a little bit more. As I let it beat off my back I closed my eyes. It felt like tiny fingers running down me and giving me a massage. My little piece of heaven was disturbed when I heard shouting and crashing downstairs. I quickly soaped my self over once, rinsed quickly and jumped out wrapped in a towel and ran down stairs.

"What the hell is going on?!" I demanded, standing in the middle of the kitchen looking like a wrinkly alien.

"I was sick. Stupid baby." Jess grunted and threw herself over the kitchen sink.

I put my hand over my mouth and nose quickly and ran upstairs. I hated seeing people throw up, it made me gag. When I got to my room I pulled on the first thing that was laying around and was clean. Some skinny jeans and a purple shirt. Slipping on my socks, I bent down to get my cell that was buzzing under the bed and felt the sudden head rush.

Woah. I stumbled backwards at the odd sensation that my head was getting smaller, but my face was getting bigger. Sickness washed over me and I began coughing again. Coughing up blood. No, no, no Harry isn't here I need Harry!! I thought as I was bent over coughing my guts up. "Jess!" I yelled between coughing. Falling to the floor, my face was flat against the cold wooden floor sitting in a small pool of blood. I saw two pairs of feet and heard distant calling before I finally blacked out.

* * *

Beep... beep... beep...

I opened my eyes to find that I was no longer in my bedroom. I was happy that the sickness had passed but I was not happy that I was laying in a hospital bed. I tried my best to sit up, but I was so numb that I couldn't move. I couldn't feel my toes.

"Don't move." a voice whispered through he haziness. "The doctors have given you a ton of morphine to settle you down. You were having a seizure."

"Harry?" I squinted my eyes up at him, his face was looking down at me; no smile, no emotion. "You're supposed to be in New York, how'd you get here?"

"FedEx." he muttered with a slight grin, but that soon vanished. "How are you feeling?"

I groaned as I tried to bring back the sensation in my toes, it felt weird. Like I was an amputee in the war. I was suddenly visualising footless toes buried nail deep in dirt. "I feel nothing, I'm completely numb."

He nodded and slumped back into the huge blue chair beside my bed, waving a little white envelope in the air. Jess's scan. "Is there something you wanna tell me?"

Oh there were plenty of things, but I smiled. "Don't worry, it's Jess's."

Harry didn't look as relieved as I thought he would. In fact, he looked disappointed. "Right."

"Save the celebration till later why don't you." I murmured. "You don't seem so relieved. Did you WANT it to be mine?"

He shrugged his shoulders and stared at the photo. "I just thought that if I'm not enough to keep you here then a baby might be. You could kill yourself, but you couldn't kill a child."

"So you think a baby would change things?" I sighed. "Can we not have this conversation right now, look where I am!"

"Exactly! Look around you Rayleigh, look where you are, look what you're doing to yourself!" he hissed, he wasn't shouting exactly, but he was finding it hard to keep things under control. What could I say? I had already made up my mind and I was really confused about what was going on with us. Didn't he leave me? "You didn't answer my calls." he finally whispered, his head hung.

I closed my eyes. If I could run away then I would, but I was trapped. "I was scared of what you'd say." I admitted. "How did you hear that I was here anyway?"

"Your mom called me. She found my number in your cell." he told me.

"My mom called you?" I asked in disbelief.

He nodded. "She's here now. She has been all night. She giving us some time alone while she goes to get something to eat."

That knocked the wind right out of me. My mother was there for me. She called Harry. Crap. I thought suddenly. My mom didn't know I wasn't taking the treatment. I guess she did now...

I looked back over at Harry and sighed. "Where does that leave us then?"

He took my hand and kissed it. "Back to where we were before, I guess."

"Which is where?"

"Agreeing to disagree." he smiled slightly and brought my hand to his face. "Julliard have agreed to let me go back in a few years."

"What? Why aren't you going now?!" I demanded.

"How can I go there when you're right here?"

"Sorry, I didn't realise you were awake." my mom stood awkwardly in the doorway. "Maybe I should go..."

"Why are you here?" I asked her bluntly.

Her eyebrows flew up in surprise. "As much as you weren't Rayleigh you're my daughter."

I sighed and closed my eyes, feeling them become heavy. All those drugs were really beginning to kick in. I was sinking deeper and deeper down into the mattress with nothing to hold onto but Harry's soft kind eyes.

* * *

My mom and I had agreed that she'd stay at my aunt's house as long as I called her every once and a while. Like I was going to do that! Harry had moved in with me. It did not go down well with his dad, but his mom seemed cool with it. We unpacked most of Harry's stuff into my closet amongst my things and he hooked up all his games systems and put away his books. I skimmed the spines, looking over the titles and authors. A lot of them were in French which I found very weird, but very hot!

"I cant believe you can read in French, I can hardly read in English." I said sleepily as Harry tucked me into bed later that afternoon for a nap. He said I looked pale, but I always looked like that.

"Another one of my dad's stupid goals for me. He wanted me to go to med school in France." he told me and kissed my forehead. "Now go to sleep."

I yawned. "You cant tell me what to do, I'll sleep when I wanna sleep."

He chuckled and perched himself on the edge of the bed, rubbing his thumb in soothing circles just above my temple.

_____

[ Harry ]

As I sat there looking down at her I felt guilty. I felt guilty for lying to her. She had gotten me a place at Julliard and as soon as I heard about her being in hospital I had turned it down. It wasn't all my fault though, that stupid teacher said if I had left then I couldn't get another chance to go back; thousands of people wanted my place. What could I do? I done what anyone would have done, right? I just couldn't tell her. Rayleigh would kick my ass. Bad.