How to change a life; chapter 2

Hey, guys! I am sorry if any of you find some of this offensive, but I mean no harm. This is just how Rayleigh is, I'm sure as writers you understand. Comment? Thanks xx

Chapter Two

Climbing mount ego.

~

Barbecues suck! I now know why I have never, ever been to one in my life. Having one for college kids was completely pointless, especially these 'upper class' kids. The girls were mostly vegetarians and the guys were all wearing white shirts and didn't want to risk getting ketchup down them.

I spent almost the whole night standing in the corner with a glass of lemonade watching everyone. Jess had gone missing with one of the cute guys and Chase was living up to his name and chasing after almost all the girls in sight. It wouldn't have been all that bad if they played better music. The same song was played over and over again. "Take on me"; the song was a joke, the artist is called A-ha for crapsake!

"I hear you've got cancer." A tall African American guy said with his hands in his pockets, rocking back on his heels. "If I stand close, will I catch it?"

I narrowed my eyes. He was supposed to be in college?! "Dude, its cancer, not measles ."

"Is that your real hair?" he asked, studying my head.

"Actually, it's a wig."

He laughed loudly. "Gross."

"Look here, Morgan Freeman." I took my tomato juice and poured it all down the front of his white shirt. "Oh, I'm sorry, why don't you slip into something more comfortable... like a coma!"

"Bitch." he snarled and stormed off.

I folded my arms across my chest, smug with myself. This was one of those moments when you were totally stoked and yet no one was around to witness what you just done. An un-repeatable moment, man.

"Impressive." Harry Dens approached, in my head he was walking in slow motion. You know like in the movies when the wind runs through their hair and that funny music comes on; God, I'm a freak, huh? He handed me over a glass of... something.

"Is it wrong that I want to burst out into a happy dance right now?" I asked as I sipped my new drink. Lemonade.

"No, but you would probably get some weird looks for that." he chuckled down at me.

My heart was racing and I was super aware of how itchy my new wig was. "So what are you doing at a college shin-dig?"

"My brother dragged me here, he thinks I should start hanging out with college dudes since I'll be there soon." he explained. Did I mention he was a senior? A very hot senior!

"Bitchin." I nodded. "So where's your Britney clone?"

"Erica," he said with emphasis, like I gave two monkeys about what her name was "is anywhere she wants to be. It's not my business any more."

"I'm sorry, I guess. She sucks." I said as sympathetically as I could.

"Every guy in town." he grumbled and ran his hand through his tousled bronze hair. "I should have known she was cheating on me when she came back with that sunburn on her back. What kind of being doesn't use sun block?!"

I knew he wasn't talking to me, but I couldn't help myself. My mouth just kept shitting words. "Kangaroos use their saliva to protect themselves from the sun. Kind of gross, but kind of cool."

Harry smirked. "Yeah. Cool."

After I found Jess, we sat in her room talking away about my little chat with Harry and his break up and her hook-up with some beach boy. Just as the conversation was getting juicy; Chase popped his head around the door.