The Only Reason For Hate

Cress jumped at the sound of the doorbell. It was late in the evening, and no one was to be expected at the time. Cress stood and looked out of her bedroom window. It was at the front of the house on the second floor, allowing her to see cars parked on the street, but not the people at the door.

She did not recognize the sleek silver car in front of the Darnel residence, but that didn't mean much. The only people who came to visit were her Father's work partners and Cinder Lihn.

Sliding the curtain back into place and closing the blinds, Cress slipped out of her bedroom and into the hallway. It was dark all around her, being the only person on the top floor of the house. Her father's bedroom was located on the main floor, though he spent nearly every waking moment in his office in the basement.

Quiet and quick as a cat, Cress walked down the stairs, grace in her every step. She spread her arms wide, as if to embrace the air around her, twirling as the reached the main floor. She took a little hop, circling her arms around, before the ring of the doorbell brought her out of her reverie.

Slumping only slightly Cress walked towards the front door. It rang yet a third time as she reached it, and Cress began to feel irritated. Whoever was here clearly had no patience.

Cress opened the door, and flushed delicately, earning a smirk from him. Carswell Thorne. Cress could not remember when she hadn't been obsessed with the man, though he was many years older than her. Cinder had laughed when she had told her, making Cress wish more than ever that her feelings were less obvious and pronounced. It wasn't like you got to choose who you fell in love with.

Cinder, standing beside Thorne, cleared her throat. Cress shook her head, feeling slightly dizzy and flustered. She looked around the group, observing four in the party. There was Thorne, Cinder, Kai, and a redheaded girl who Cress had never met.

"Sorry for calling in at this hour," Kai said, breaking the silence, "but we have an urgent matter. Is your father around?" Kai asked Cress.

It took Cress a few moments to register what Kai had said. She was still staring at Thorne, looking at his perfectly sculpted face, his soft lips, watching his face crease in concern, feeling her heart contract faster in every second. Breaking out of her reverie, Cress blushed even harder before nodding her head and stepping aside from the doorway.

The small group moved in a huddle, entering through the large polished front door. Cress closed the door behind them, moving the lock into place. She had always locked the door, ever since she was little. Always afraid of what was out there. Afraid of the unknown.

Cress led the party into the kitchen, where they stood around awkwardly. Cress walked around, still light headed and flustered from her encounter, if that's what you would call it. She gestured to the dining table, telling them to make themselves at home.

They sat, looking awkward and tired. She watched as Thorne sat down next to Cinder, giving her a worried expression. She felt a pang in her chest, though she pushed it down. It wasn't any of her business if Thorne liked Cinder.

All of them sat in silence. The redheaded girl rested her chin on the table, though she spread her arms out in front of her, playing with her fingers. Thorne looked scared, his leg bouncing up and down to the rhythm of her heartbeat. Cinder looked as though she hadn't slept in a week, and rested her head against Kai's shoulder. Kai was looking confused, a crease between his eyebrows. Cress stared, her curiosity piqued.

After a few moments, Cress remembered her father. She apologized quickly and rushed out of the room, walking down the halls, to where her father was.

***

Cinder closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. She felt slightly better being at the doctor's house, but still unnerved. It didn't help that Thorne kept on sending her worried glances, as if to say he was watching, waiting for her to disappear, or drop dead on the floor. Somehow he found another way to be annoying.