Epilogue

*five years later*

Cinder sighed as the bus pulled to her stop. Butterflies fluttered in heavy swarms within her stomach. She felt both nauseous and exhilarated as her feet stepped out of the muggy bus and guided her into the warm fall air. She was meeting up with Kai for dinner. It would be the first time she had seen him in over a month, with him completing his far-off internship.

Kai had gone into business school. He appreciated the work that his father had done, but it just wasn't for him. Instead, he had decided to turn the ownership over to Jacin, once he finished medical school. Kai had been over the moon when he discovered Jacin's profound interest in the medical field. He was the person that had gotten Jacin into medical school so fast, what with all of his connections.

City sounds buzzed around Cinder as she weaved within the crowd of people. She herself was still in school as an audio engineer major. She only had two semesters left until graduation. She had finally been able to complete her dream. People hardly even stared at her scars anymore once they heard her play the guitar.

The gang of friends had all found their own happiness. Thorne's Rampion Guitar line went viral after he partnered up with Cinder. She had found a way to improve the tone quality, and he was now just as popular as Fender and Gibson. He still lived in the tiny flat above his original shop, and had made a little apartment out of his garage for whenever Cinder- or any of the others wanted to visit. As for his relationship with Cress, things became intimate only a few months earlier. The couple had gone on a band tour around the country. Cress sang, while Thorne would play. When Thorne wrote a song about a brave girl with short hair who everyone fell in love with, he dedicated it to Cress. They announced their relationship the next day.

Cress became a tech major, but spent a large portion of her time singing and traveling with Thorne. When she was home, she lived with Cinder and Iko and worked for an up and rising tech company.

Scarlet and Wolf had gotten together only a year after the Battle of Luna Hospital, and they were married the year after that. They lived on Scarlet's farm together, and had found peace within each other.

Winter and Jacin were the only other members of the gang to be married. Winter had gone into fashion, and she and Iko had their very own line. Jacin was a good way through medical school with Kai's helpful connections, and had more potential than most. The couple were even expecting a baby by the beginning of the new year, and Winter had already asked Cinder to be the guardian.

Iko had become a rising star with her fashion input. She was only a year and a half out of school, and companies were trying to hire her like mad. Her relationship with Kinney- who remained as a police officer- was something more than friendship, and although they still maintained their near-hurtful banter, they understood each other in ways no one else could.

The bakery on the corner flashed in light pastel shades. Cinder felt a smile lift at the corner of her lips as she opened the door. Her eyes scanned the small shop, and her fluttering heart calmed as she spied messy black hair.

Cinder approached him from behind, trying not to laugh as he stared at the door in front of him that was the other entrance to the shop. He had just the luck to pick the wrong side.

"Hey stranger," Cinder said. She slid into the booth in front of Kai as he jumped in surprise. He stared at Cinder for a moment, before bursting into laughter. Cinder smiled at him radiantly. She leaned forward across the table and gave him a quick kiss, to which he reciprocated.

"How did I miss you?" Kai asked as they broke apart. Cinder rolled her eyes.

"Look behind you." Cinder pointed at the back door. Kai turned his gaze to the other door and face palmed his face. "You're as smooth as ever," Cinder teased. Kai winked, before reaching across the table and interlocking his fingers with her own.