Galaxy

Once Kai had read in a book how loneliness was only an illusion, for how could anyone ever be alone in a world so full. But even in a world so large, so expansive, Kai still felt alone. Except for her.

Kai didn't know what it was about Cinder that made him feel as though light had entered into his galaxy of darkness. He couldn't explain why now, in his time of mourning, the only person he wanted in his company was Cinder.

Kai felt as though she were the only person who understood him, and she truly did understand what he was going through. She had lost her sister to the plague only days before his father had passed. Cinder had been so strong, even then, while Kai had locked himself in his bedroom for days.

Though Kai felt alone, without his father in the large house, he knew that he wasn't. The Prince home was rather large, and usually had at least one person doing household chores like cooking and cleaning. And then there was also Torin, who was always present.

Torin Konn was Kai's father's best friend, and advisor. He had helped Rikan with all of his business choices, and even helped with Kai once his mother had passed away.

The sunset peeked through the large window at the back of Kai's room, and made him stare. Kai had always loved sunsets, always loved the colors, and the beauty that it cast upon everything it touched. But even more, Kai loved what came after the sun set. Kai loved the night sky, with the moon and galaxy full of stars. Kai loved how the stars could burn so bright and hot, in a world so dark and cold. He loved the moon, almost another planet, yet not, because it orbited the Earth. He loved the moon, but not as much as he loved the girl it reminded him of.

Cinder. Her name sent shivers down his spine as he whispered it into the darkness.

Cinder. Cinder. Cinder.

Through his days of remaining catatonic in his bedroom, the only word he had been able to utter, was her name. The most beautiful name Kai had ever heard. It felt like a prayer as her name slipped across his lips. She felt like a phantom from another world, while she also felt like the only thing in his world. She was his world, no, his galaxy, and he had only known of her existence for seventeen days.

Seventeen days. So much had happened in such a short amount of time. Kai's entire world had changed, and most of them weren't good changes. Kai's father had become ill. His father had died. Kai would now inherit his father's business, hospital, and everything else, and he hadn't even finished high school. Sure, he was going to graduate with his associates, but what about medical school? It would take Kai about a decade to complete that, but what would he do for the time being? How could he help others if he didn't even know what he was doing?

Kai grunted in irritation. His life had never been necessarily easy, but it had never been this hard. It felt like the entire world was sitting on his chest, and he began hyperventilating. He was having a panic attack and needed to get out, he needed to get air, he needed to talk to someone. He needed Cinder.

Stumbling out of the room, while still trying to breathe, Kai hurried out the front door, and to his car. He put the car into drive and sped away, not caring that he was over the speed limit, in his desperation to talk with Cinder. That's when it hit him, Kai didn't know where Cinder lived. They had only ever seen each other in school, the hospital, or at her work.

Kai screamed in agitation. Why in the name of every star was he so stupid! He didn't know her address, and he couldn't call her for it because he hadn't used his brain and gotten her number. What in the name of luna was wrong with him?

Even though Kai felt like an idiot, he decided to go over to Rampion and see if Thorne was still in, even though he made him feel uncomfortable.

The first time that Kai had met Carswell Thorne, had been only a week before, on Kai's quest to ask Cinder out. While Cinder had been grabbing his fender, Thorne had cornered him and given him the impression of an older brother.

"I wouldn't mess with her." Thorne had stated plainly, making Kai jump from surprise. He had not heard him coming, and felt trapped. "Not only will she kill you if you're a jerk, but I'll come and kill you again, and then tap dance on your remains, you hear me?" Thorne tilted his head menacingly to the side as Kai nodded his head, imagining Thorne in a tutu, menacingly dancing on Kai's dead body with a pleased grin. Kai paled just thinking about it. 

"I don't like you," Thorne declared, "I don't like you one bit."

Luckily, Cinder came back out at that moment, stopping Thorne from continuing his speech of hate for Kai.

Kai shivered at the memory. As much as he didn't want to have another conversation with Thorne, he needed to see Cinder.

Swerving to a stop in front of Rampion guitar shop, Kai hopped out of his car and to the door. The sign read closed, but Kai could still see movements from inside. He knocked on the glass and waited until Thorne came and glared at him.

"Aces, what are you doing here?" Thorne yelled through the glass, looking more and more annoyed by the second.

Kai gulped. "I need to know where Cinder lives. I have to talk to her." Kai shouted back.

"Spades, someone is a bit obsessed. I wouldn't tell you, but she actually lives here. She's not in at the moment though. She ran out about ten minutes ago, muttering something about a doctor." Thorne barked, still through the door.

A doctor? That didn't make any sense. Was she ill? Oh stars, what if she had the plague? Had Cinder been dying while Kai was sitting catatonic in his bedroom? Kai felt sick as he nodded to Thorne and ran into his car.

How could Cinder be ill? No, she couldn't have the plague. Cinder would have called the hospital if she had the plague. He sighed. Kai knew just about every doctor in town thanks to his father, but only one really stuck out to him.

Kai drove like a maniac in his rush to get to Dr. Darnel's house. The sun had finally set and the moon was glowing brightly as Kai drove onto the doctor's street. "Yes!" Kai hooted, upon seeing Cinder's old mustard yellow car and pulled in behind it hastily.

Kai ran out of his car, and up the steps, before hammering on the large, oak front door. No one answered the door, and Kai was wondering whether he should knock again, just as the door swung open and he was faced with Cress.

A large smile broke across Kai's face. "Hey Cress! It's nice to see you again!" Kai beamed as he embraced Cress.

Cress had been one of Kai's closest friends growing up. Their fathers had started working together when he had been about five, Cress three, and they had seen a lot of each other over the years. Cress had been Kai's only comfort when his mother had died, and was one of his only true friends. She was an excellent listener, and always let Kai talk all of his problems out to her. She was also one heck of a hacker, which let them have a lot of fun messing with people from Kai's school. She was a great friend.

"Hi Kai!" Cress squeaked as she returned the embrace.

Kai laughed and broke the hug. "So, here's an odd question for you. Is Cinder Lihn here? I've kinda been looking for her and her car is parked here, and yeah." Kai finished lamely, blushing as Cress gave him a quizzical look.

"I'm not stalking her or anything!" Kai exclaimed, wishing that he had not actually kind of stalked her.

Cress laughed at her friend. "Yep. Cinder's here. Come on in Kai." Cress giggled. Kai rushed in without a second thought, thanking Cress. "She's in the kitchen." Cress commented, and Kai thanked her again.

Walking past the main room Kai heard a rustle of noise, but was too excited to see Cinder to worry about it. Kai practically skipped into the kitchen, before his heart dropped into his stomach as he stared, horrified, at the scene before him.