Lullaby

Time seemed to move at a slug's pace as the clock ticked closer to 2:45. Kai had been staring at the clock all day, waiting for school to be let out. He hadn't been able to pay attention to anything in class, but it didn't really matter. Besides the fact that every teacher told him to take it easy while he was still grieving, Kai was ahead in every class by a long shot.

2:43. Wasn't it 2:43 about five hours ago? Kai was beginning to wonder if the clock had somehow been broken, and would now be stuck at 2:43 for the rest of Kai's life.

Kai placed his head on his desk, running his hands through his hair, making it more messy than normal. It was Kai's nervous habit.

Kai pressed his palms into his eyes. He was exhausted, and the pressure relieved it just a bit. He hadn't slept properly in weeks. First he had been worried about his dad, then he had been grieving over his dad, and now he was worried about Cinder, who seemed to grow more upset by the day.

Cinder had been the only thing on Kai's mind since Saturday night, which was a good thing. It allowed him to not think about his father. His father who was now being turned into ashes. His father who was dead. His father, his dad who had left him forever, never to return again.

It's not like Kai would ever forget him, but he felt like he was sinking whenever he thought about him. The weight of the loss tore him apart from the inside out. So yeah, Kai was glad to have someone else to worry about.

Even though Kai was glad to worry about something other than his dad, Kai was starting to panic over Cinder. She was fine, at least on the outside, but then she would become quiet, and dark. She seemed to be reliving a dark past, and Kai wondered if he should ask her.

What if she really was in a gang? That was why Kai thought she couldn't go out with him because of their 'code' and whatnot. She was probably trying to run away from it or something and was too afraid to tell him.

Kai's thoughts spun around, as he lifted his head to peer at the clock, just as the bell rang. Kai jumped from his seat, grabbed his backpack, and was out the door before the teacher could say goodbye.

There was no one else in the parking lot as Kai sprinted towards his car. Kai started the car, and sped away. He had never, ever, sped in his entire life, always trying to be a good example, and make his father proud. But today, it didn't matter.

His thoughts were still occupied by what was causing Cinder so much pain, besides her head of course.

What if she was in actual trouble?

What if someone wanted to hurt her?

What if somebody already was?

The thought made Kai's blood boil. If it took everything in his power, he would not let a single soul hurt Cinder. He just wouldn't.

Kai made it to Rampion Guitar in mere minutes, and parked halfway on the curb. Kai hopped out of the car and rushed through the glass door's of the Rampion.

The first thing that caught Kai's eye was Thorne. He was sitting at the desk with a mixed expression of anger, confusion, and pity. Kai walked over to him, standing in front of the desk.

Thorne seemed to be in deep thought, and didn't even notice Kai until he cleared his throat. Thorne's eyes snapped up to Kai, and his expression became more agitated. "What do you want?" Thorne snapped, throwing Kai off in surprise. He knew that Thorne wasn't fond of him, due to his protective older brotherness for Cinder, but he had never been so harsh.

"I-I" Kai cleared his throat again. "I'm here to bring Cinder her homework. Can I go see her?" Kai lied in a strong authoritative voice that made Thorne scoff.