Chapter 16

For Katrina, her week of bed rest had flown by, actually the whole five weeks had. She and Alonzo were due in Maria's office for her check-up in an hour. She would finally get to hear their baby's heartbeat. She still couldn't believe that she was thirteen weeks pregnant, even if she couldn't believe it her body definitely showed it. She stood in front of their bedroom mirror, with her shirt pulled up past her stomach and examined her baby bump.

Her eyes became watery and she tried her best to blink away the tears, but it was too late and they ran down her cheeks like waterfalls. Katrina couldn't stand how emotional she was now, but she couldn't help but be happy that their little angel had made it this far. Every now and then her mind would take her back to that very dark place in her life a couple of weeks ago. She thanked God every day that He had given her a warrior.

Katrina rubbed her round belly and smiled through her tears, she wasn't incredibly big at thirteen weeks but you could tell she was pregnant. Every day she woke up it seemed her stomach grew more and more every night. Last week, Alonzo had maternity clothes delivered to the house that would last her whole pregnancy. At first, she was shocked, she didn't think she would need to wear maternity clothes until she was much further along in her pregnancy, but she had been wrong and at least the clothes were cute; her husband had taste.

As she rubbed circles on her belly to soothe their baby as she reminisced about her week of bed rest. Katrina didn't believe she had laughed so much in her life. She honestly believed that Alonzo was the reason she healed so fast. He never left her side, even when he had to work; he had a desk set up in the room and took all calls through his cellphone. At first she thought it was aggravating because she just wanted to be left alone in her own little world, but he wouldn't allow it and to be honest after a while she was happy to have him with her.

When she became drowsy, he would stop working so that he wouldn't disturb her sleep. They ate together and he held her hair away from her face when she couldn't keep her food down. The first sign of a dry heave had him out of his chair, picking her up, and heading to the bathroom. Sometimes they didn't make it as far as the bathroom and she couldn't keep it down. She didn't dare laugh then, but now she couldn't help herself as she remember his horrified expression. After that incident, he special ordered bags and had her own personal barf bags delivered. She'd scarred him for life and she knew he was ecstatic when that stage was over.

Katrina still couldn't believe that her husband had actually watched an entire Twilight marathon with her, but she couldn't say he hadn't complained about it the whole time. At first she was the one that would shout at the screen about how stupid Bella was to keep going back and forth between Edward and Jacob, Alonzo would look at her as if she had lost her mind. She looked at him incredulously when he proclaimed to like Jacob better because he was the alpha male. They argued back and forth about the damn thing until he spit out his juice when Jacob imprinted on the baby. She laughed so hard at his repulsed face that her stomach started to hurt.

They even watched two movies out of the Hunger Games trilogy. Alonzo declared he liked that marathon better because it was more action and less love. She had to point out that both had a love triangle and he pointed back out that both were too obvious about who would end up with who. She still couldn't believe that he was the same Alonzo in those moments.

He even listened to her audio version of the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy; she followed with the book as he typed away on his laptop. When he was on the phone he would sometimes sigh and roll his eyes in exasperation, she would move her hand back and forth in a spanking motion, his eyes would light up and a smirk would grace his face. They would sit there staring at each other from across the room just smiling and then the atmosphere would change. His eyes would heat up and her mouth would open with a gasp, it was as if some invisible thread was pulling them towards each other and then the person on the other end of the phone would break the moment.