Chapter 11

For the love of Christ he was only going to find Gabe. He didn't need to tell her every little single detail. This was why he didn't want a wife, now he was going to have to go back and explain and teach her how to become a better ease dropper. All of this was giving him a headache; he was giving himself a headache. He'd made a promised to himself that he would try his best to make her happy; she hadn't asked for this anymore than he had.

 He'd cursed her for wanting all the things a normal wife would want, but they aren't normal dammit. He wouldn't accept the fact that his little Mariah, his farfalla was destined to be with him at a young age, and now she stood in front of him, not only as his wife but as a different person as well. Was it so bad that he was shielding his heart from destruction? He knew his wife was falling in love with him, it would be a disaster and yet she'd done it even while seeing the worst of him.

 Sure, he'd seen love in plenty of the eyes of the women he'd dated, but this was different. He knew that his wife would get to him and be able to reach something, that he thought wasn't reachable anymore. She's a stubborn woman and he knew that she wouldn't stop until she had it in her grasp. What would she do when she had it? Would she play around with it and then give it back to him shattered again and impossible to repair.

 It couldn't possibly be bad that he was trying to protect her from the hardship and stress of trying to achieve such a goal. He's broken and her green eyes looked deep into his soul and could see that he still possessed his damaged heart; she wanted to repair it. He should've known that even though she carried a different name, his wife was still his farfalla and she liked to fix things.

 He'd denied her a honeymoon, and the right even to discuss having another child. It was almost as if his instincts were screaming at him 'NO'. Was it so wrong that he feared how good of a father he was capable of being? He knew he was more like his own father then he wanted to admit. Would he be too busy for his own child? It wouldn't be bad to have another, but why not just see how it goes with this one.

What's a relationship without communication? The thing is he wasn't even allowing her to talk; he was making all the decisions. He's a man, a very dangerous man at that, he wasn't used to having to confide in or listen to anyone else. Maybe it was time for him to listen for the first time in his life; listen to his wife. He knew he was wrong for denying her a honeymoon, but that was pushing it too far. Despite everything that had happen and was now happening, it all just seemed so fast; too fast. He'd promised her that he would stop being an asshole, and he was willing to try, even though it would be damn near impossible. Was he deciding to give their marriage a chance, not for his baby's sake, but for his and her sake as well? This was the first time he was doing something right for them and not for their baby.

 "Alonzo don't" he heard her say in a croaky voice as a last resort.

 Alonzo stopped in his tracks and kept his eyes forward. He noticed that Gabe was looking back at him with a sad look in his hazel eyes, what the hell did the man not know him at all. He felt his face harden into a mask; he didn't need pity from anyone and he didn't want Katrina receiving it either. It would only make things worse on them, he was already the cause of her pain, and he didn't want people to look down to her; she was his wife dammit. He noticed Gabe's eyes shift direction and then he felt a small hand on the middle of his back.

"Bello" she said and his body was immediately tense; her touch and soft voice was driving him insane, he couldn't think.

 Her voice brought back an old memory: "Bello" the little girl with brown hair and green eyes said while running up to him. She got nearer and he scooped her up into his arms. He spun her around in the air above his head. His hands were under her arms supporting her, and her brown wavy hair flying with the direction of the wind. Her eyes shown with delight, with her mouth open wide releasing magical giggles. She'd once told him that it was true that a baby's first laugh made fairies; but he knew she was watching too many tinker bell movies. He brought her closer to his chest and she placed a hand on his cheek.