Prologue

Alonzo ran his hand over his three-day stubble as the wind caressed his hair. His grey eyes roamed over the Caribbean Sea, while the water softly lapped at the side of the ship. The moon was high in the sky tonight and it cast a beautiful glow over the water. He closed his eyes as he became one with the motion of the boat. Sometimes he couldn't understand why people got seasick; he was born to be out on the water. It was his last night on the cruise ship that had sailed across the Caribbean for the past two days.

His family suggested that he take time off and he was finally starting to relax. His mother was always worried about him, especially now that he had finally gotten out of an eight-month relationship with Veronica. He thought things were going good between them but his guess could sometimes be wrong. They always wanted more no matter what, and he'd hope that she was different but in the end, she wanted something that he couldn't give her.

She wanted marriage, children, and the happily ever after, while he could only offer her his body, never his heart. He looked down at his glass of whiskey and frowned a little. Why did it seem that all the women he met wanted the same thing from him, first sex, then they wanted to capture his heart; it wasn't possible, even he knew his heart was as cold as ice. At twenty-eight, he wasn't a naïve little boy who believed in love. He was foolish enough years ago to fall in love, but he soon realized that if you're an heir for a company that is worth billions there is no true love.

He took a sip of his whiskey and closed his eyes as the liquid rolled down his throat. He was on his third glass, so there was no burning effect; well none that he noticed. He wasn't drunk but he wasn't completely sober either. Whiskey always helped him relax a little and think about things in his life. His mother and father kept pestering him about settling down and having children of his own.

He was nowhere near ready to do such a thing; just thinking about it put a bad taste in his mouth. He downed the rest of his drink and set the glass on the table beside him. He was the CEO of his family's international business; he didn't have time to satisfy his family's crazy fantasies about getting married.

He couldn't understand why they kept bothering him, his older brother Angelo was married with two children. He loved his niece and nephew with all his heart, but he wasn't ready to become a father. When he was ready, he would marry some nice Italian woman from a good family who could live with his lifestyle, and not expect him to give her his heart.

He was so caught up in his own thoughts that he didn't notice the young lady out on the pool deck with him. He couldn't see her face as she set her drink down on one of the nearby tables on her way to the diving board. She seemed to be murmuring something to herself as she climbed the small ladder for the diving board. As she walked the short distance to the end of the board, the wind caught her hair and lightly brushed it out of her face.

His breath caught in his throat as he got a good look at the little vixen. He saw her true beauty when the wind blew her dark brown hair away from her oval face. From what he could make out, she had light green eyes that had a certain depth to them and full pink lips. She seemed to be wearing no make-up and a black bikini; that contrasted with her pale skin. She had to be around 5'5 compared to his 6'3. Her body was very petite, with curves in the right places.

She seemed to be in her own little world. She looked young, but she had to be at least twenty-one to be drinking on his ship. She looked clumsy as well, and she was about to jump off the diving board? That wasn't a good idea; he had better stop her before she did something to hurt herself. He stepped away from the railing and made his way towards the diving board to try to talk her down.

"Sweetheart I don't think that's a great idea." he heard himself say.

She gasped, surprised by his presence and nearly jumped out of her skin, but she did something worst; she fell in the damn pool. He watched as she came up for air and tried to keep her head above the water. She couldn't even swim, shit she was drowning. He ran to the side of the pool and dived in; he felt the water immediately seep into his clothes. He surfaced and made his way to the drowning brunette a couple of feet away from him. He kicked his feet as his body moved toward her bobbing head.