Chapter 19- The Not-So-Welcoming Comittee

Trouble did not even begin to cover it.

Arriving in Ilirea right on time, I was immediately contacted by Oromis, telling us to "fly to his private quarters, immediately." I should have realized then that this was not going to go well.

Landing next to the golden dragon, both Galbatorix and is dismount our dragons and walk over to where my master stands, my eyes looking at my shoes. Galbatorix is a different story, he walks with his head held high, his gaze trained right on Oromis, almost defiantly.

When we finally stand directly in front of the old elf, he reaches out and snatches the sword from my waist. The one he had lent to me for guard duty. I glanced up and met the the eyes of the great dragon standing above us. His stern look truly made it set in. We were going to be royally doomed.

"Do I even need to explain why I am angry?", Oromis says in a calm voice that radiated anything but calm feelings.

"No Oromis-elda", I respond in a whisper as if talking to someone on their death bed. Galbatorix just sets his jaw, causing his face to look even more strong and imposing.

I risk glancing up to look at my master. His eyes stare back at me in a steely gaze. He then continues speaking.

"We will discuss further the consequences for your actions, Talia. As for you, Galbatorix, you have kept someone waiting for the past two days", Oromis says, shifting his gaze to Galbatorix.

For the first time, shock crosses over Galbatorix's expression as he clears his throat, "Who have I kept waiting?"

"Rhunön arrived from Ellesmera to take measurements for your sword when you become a full rider", Oromis says, watching for Galbatorix's reaction.

Galbatorix's mouth drops open as he glances back and forth, as if this person was going to jump out at him. Suddenly he looks down at me and in his eyes I can see true fear and horror.

Nodding to him I say, "You can go, I'll be fine."

Oromis also nods, "yes, I think keeping her waiting will be punishment enough for you. Now begone before she decides to leave back for Ellesmera."

Without a word, Galbatorix sprints to Jarnunvösk and they take off immediately. Even though I knew it was selfish, I was sad that he wasn't by my side anymore. Risking a glance at Oromis once more, I see his arms crossed, staring at me intently.

As soon as I meet his eyes, he turns and strides to his private studies, calling back, "come, we will discuss your actions inside."

With a sigh, I turn my head back to Vascar. He motions his head forward, a glimmer of foreboding in his eyes at being left with Glaedr. I didn't know which of us was better off. I force a smile, trying to send him a silent message of luck. He puffs a thin stream of smoke in response before I turn and stride after Oromis into his private quarters.

As I enter through the door, I cannot help the wave of relief from passing over me. The familiar training room was a warm sight after passing over the prairie for the past four days. I am even tempted to run my fingers over the amazing drawings on the ground, but I resist because of the gravity of my situation.

Striding over to a table that I usually practiced my letters at, Oromis sits down one side and motions to the chair opposite him. Reluctantly, I join him, already dreading the conversation that was about to ensue.

In a voice so calm, I begin to wish he would yell, Oromis begins speaking to me.

"I want to know for exactly what reasons you decided to leave without telling a soul, and what happened on your little adventure."