Chapter 12- Practice Doesn't Always Make Perfect

As soon as we reached the Entrance Hall, I was on Vascar's back and we were soaring out the ceiling into the wide open air above. Now that we could fly together, I did not plan to walk very much anymore. I could sense his joy as well about being able to share the sky with me. Our bond only strengthened the more we grew and the more time we spent together.

Getting home was much quicker on dragon back, and Vascar was able to land right in the tear drop cut out in the wall. Dismounting as quick as I can without hurting myself, I go to the clothes I had brought from home and pick out a black tunic with matching leggings and my leather hunting boots. Then, my fingers moving rapidly, I braid my hair off to the side and wrap a piece of black cloth around my wrist. It was what I always did before events I was nervous about for good luck. Then mounting Vascar again, he quickly takes off and heads back to the training center to meet Galbatorix like we do everyday.

He was waiting for us when we landed, and quickly took off after he noticed I was riding Vascar. After taking off in pursuit of the larger dragon, Vascar pumps his wings furiously, trying to catch up and not be outflown. with all the flying he had been doing lately, I was worried he would pass out from the exhertion. But he made it to the normal cave with no problem, and after I had jumped off once more, he took off out of the cave, along with Jarnunvösk.

'The cave is much to cramped for both of us', he says to me moments later, 'Jarnunvösk and I are resting on top of the shelf, we should still be able to communicate. Just let me know when you are ready to go.'

I quickly agree with him and tell him that I will contact him when it's time to go before turning to Galbatorix. It does not take long to tell him what had happened today and the duty which Vascar and I were punished with. Part of me thought he would be scolding, but was shocked when he broke out in a warm laugh that sent shivers up my spine.

"Ah egg duty. We have all had to do it once. It is not a pleasant experience, for you do absolutely nothing. I wish I would have had something happen. But alas, the most interesting part was when a stray cat jumped out of the alley and ran in front of me", he says looking out over the city. From this height I could see the Nesting Building and the few dragons entering and exiting. It was one of the largest buildings in the city to accomadate mothering dragons of all sizes. The only building that rivaled it was the Eragonian Training Center and the Salr Ríkr.

"I'm glad. I was starting to get worried."

"Would you like to spar?", he asks suddenly, starting to look excited.

"How would we? Neither of us have swords", I say back curiously.

"Well, we don't now, but down by the training fields they have an assortment of weapons."

"The training fields by Oromis's private training quarters?"

"Those are the ones", he says with an eager grin spreading across his face.

I had to admit I was curious. I wanted to know just how good he was. I was also worried that he would beat me in a second, but after the mock fight with Oromis today I noticed a lot more pride and self confidence in my attitude.

Connecting my mind with Vascar, I say, 'time to go.'

'Why so soon?', he asks back curiously, but I sensed him take off before he even asked.

'Galbatorix and I plan to go spar at the training fields.'

'We are here', he announces unnecessarily, for the loud rushing of wind from the two dragons wings did that well enough.

"Do you want to try to have both dragons land in here again or have one come in at a time?", I say turning to Galbatorix because the way both the dragons came in today was complicated.