Chapter 18- Making Amends

Her tear stained face pushed through the crowd towards us, her eyes focused only on me. As I looked back at her, I could feel my own eyes starting to water as a relieved smile spread across my face.

"Mother!", I shout, quickly unstrapping myself from Vascar and hopping down. I push my way through the last few people separating us and embrace her tightly. All my worries, all my doubts, and all my fears are pushed out as I feel her arms lace tightly around me. I bury my face in her neck, her hair so like mine brushing up against my nose.

She pushes me back slightly and runs her eyes over my face before saying, "Oh Talia, I've missed you dearly. You've grown so much!"

I smile and nod, but say nothing as I hug her quickly again. She steps back and turns to look at the two dragons. She curiously glances at Galbatorix and Jarnunvösk, wondering why they're here, but in the whole has eyes for only the orange dragon towering over the citizens of Daret.

This is your dragon?" She questions, unconsciously drifting towards Vascar, who in turn watches her every movement curiously.

Jarnunvösk grumbles slightly at mothers ignorance of dragons as I respond, "I wouldn't say he's mine-", but Vascar cuts me off and talks to her directly.

'I am Vascar', he says cockily, hoping to impress my mother. Which he does. She clasps her hand over her heart and looks to me, wondering if she was going crazy.

"Show off", I mutter to him. He just starts to laugh his strange rumbling sound.

"Come mother, let us discuss this elsewhere", I say conscious of the multitude of people cla boring closer to the giant dragons. So, pushing our way through the crowd, we make our way through town to our house. Galbatorix also dismounts and follows. The two dragons take their time picking through the people, very careful to not accidental step on someone.

When we make it to our little house towards the edge of town, the two dragons wait outside as Mother, Galbatorix, and I walk inside the door. Galbatorix looks nervous, as if embarrassed and out of place. I quickly loop my hand in his to calm his nerves.

"Where is father?", I ask as the door snaps shut.

"He should be at the butchers", she murmurs glancing out the window at the two dragons.

"I guess that is good. I would rather explain things to you first", I say realizing how father would act if I showed up with a large dragon and tried to sit him down to talk. Yes, it was good I would have mother to back me up when we talked to him.

"Oh Talia", she says turning back to me, "I missed you so. When you left, I felt like a part of me had left too... I realized as soon as you left that we had gone about this all wrong. That we should not have tried to keep you from your destiny. And I'm sorry."

"Thank you mother", I say smiling, trying to hold back the amount of relief that was surging through my heart.

"So", she said, some of her original motherly demeanor returning as she motions towards Galbatorix and I's intertwined hands, "who is this?"

I laugh as Galbatorix steps forward and shakes my mothers hand, saying with all his natural charm, "I am Galbatorix, and it is a pleasure to meet you. Talia has spoken very highly of you."

A slight blush creeps up her face as she shoots me a look as if to say, "he's a keeper."

"It is a pleasure to meet you too", she says with a small smile, "I am Henna Larelonsdaugter. I take it from the large green dragon outside with Vascar that you a rider too?"

He smiles, his teeth flashing brightly, "that is Jarnunvösk, and yes I am a rider too."

She nods as she leads himself and I over to the table. As mother sits down she turns to me and says, "so, tell me everything."