Chapter 16

Chapter 16

 Aubry’s POV…

  (Delicious Brad----------->)

My shoulders slumped as I slapped my hand down on the shower’s faucet turning off the warm spray of water. I grabbed my towel hanging from the rack by the stall’s sliding glass door. I stepped out onto the bath mat and dried my body off. Some days I wondered if the added stress was worth it working in ICU at the hospital. Maybe I should find some nice Doctor’s office and work Monday through Friday 9 to 5 and call it a day. Those spiteful evil bitches made my life a living hell and for what? My sexual preference or the fact that my nursing skill surpasses theirs?

 I padded back into my room and pulled out a pair of pajama pants from the dresser drawer and an old sweatshirt and a pair of thick socks. I quickly got dressed and made my way down the hallway and into my small kitchen. I was still so shocked and pissed off, and I had no clue about what to do or if I should even say anything about the fact that Melissa, I am sure who acted under Connie’s influence had purposely changed the infusion rate of my patients blood pressure intravenous medication on the dispensing IV pump. She had almost tripled the patient’s infusion rate. The poor unsuspecting man could have had a stroke. When I caught her she fumbled and lied about the pump beeping and she was only fixing it, but I had shoved her out of the way fast enough to catch what she did. I am sure an argument would have ensued if Brad hadn’t chosen that moment to pop up. The evil witches, I was able to snap a quick picture and make a copy of the doctor’s order later for the correct dosing of the medication to show the error but I had no way to prove that they did it with malicious intent.

 To formally accuse them of purposely attempting to harm a patient would bring a shit storm I didn’t want to deal with. It would be my word against theirs, and I was still the newbie whereas they have been working for the hospital since before the invention of penicillin. But this was someone’s life they had neglectfully put in danger because of the bigotry. I took an oath and I was going to have to report them. I should have done it before leaving the facility. My shoulders slumped even more and I gazed at my phone sitting on the table by the door. I needed to call our Nurse Manager and I need to call Brad too and let him know.

 It was irresponsible for me to just run out like that. This was not about me after all, it’s about my patient. I took a vow to be my patient’s advocate and if I let this go I would be failing the unsuspecting man and I would be just as guilty if not more so in doing nothing about it. I just shook my head and went about preparing a cup of tea. I poured the hot water on the tea bag in my mug when there was a frantic pounding noise coming from the other side of my front door. I immediately knew who it was. I was sort of hoping and praying he would have just taken my word for it that I was alright, but I knew deep down that he would come for me as soon as he finished his patient’s hand off reports to his day shift colleague. Even with knowing that fact, it still didn’t stop my gut from twisting up in knots because I knew he was definitely not pleased with me changing our plans like that.

 I silently trudged to the door with heavy feet. I peeked through the peephole to see my man standing on the other side. His arms were braced on the door frame and he looked like he was barely holding back his temper. Letting out an audible sigh, I turned the locks and opened the door. Brad’s head snapped up and his sapphire blue eyes zeroed in on my face and he held my gaze as he stepped into my tiny apartment. I closed the door and turned around only to release a surprised yelp as he pinned me up against the door. His taller more muscular frame towered over me and my mouth went completely dry.

 His indigo eyes raked my face and traveled the length of my body before coming back to my capture my gaze with pinpoint precision. I stood there with my back pressed against the door with my arms pinned at my sides. My cock instantly perked up and I had to swallow the whimper that was threatening to bubble up out of my throat. I shivered when he leaned forward. I thought he was going to give me a punishing kiss, but instead he whispered in my ear. “What caused you to run?” I stood there frozen in shock. How the hell did he know that I was running from something?