Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 Dr. Malone’s POV…

(Aubry's Rose---->)

 Shrugging into my new white lab coat with the intricate dark blue embroidery that identified me as the New Director of Critical Care services, I straightened the sleeves over my dress shirt and picked up my coffee cup. I needed tons of caffeine today because I had to come in to make my debut to both the night shift staff and the day shift staff, so holding the meet and greet at 8 a.m. had seemed like the perfect time, but try telling my body that after years of working the graveyard shift in the Trauma Unit of my previous job. Staff that was not scheduled today was informed by my Nurse Manager that this was a mandatory meeting so they were coming in as well, which was a good thing because I hate to repeat myself, I will give concessions to only the staff overseeing the patients on the unit because I cannot leave the patients unattended.

 I made my way through the maze of hallways to the conference room on the fourth floor down the hall from the Critical Care Unit that is now my domain. I always wondered what was going through the head of the contractors and hospital administration when they planned the layout for hospitals. Did they just sit there and say “Hmm, let’s see how we can confuse the fuck out of people by making the hallways as difficult as possible to find where they wanted to go?” I always thought about that, and security must have a field day watching people on the cameras with that, “I am totally lost and confused expression on their faces.”

 The closer I got to the conference rooms, I noticed people milling about outside. One of them was Mr. Hahn; here to do the formal introduction, hopefully it will be a quick and painless one. I was a little nervous but that came from being in a New City and meeting people that I am going to have to prove myself and my abilities to, but I am confident I was going to do that, I was confident in my education and  skills as a Doctor. Now, it was just a matter of getting to know my staff and getting to know what their competency levels were and their ability to perform their job.

 I got to the door and Mr. Hahn vigorously shook my hand and urged me into the room. I was nicely surprised to see the amount of people here; I must stay that at least staffing issues should not be a problem. I scanned all the faces looking back at me with open curiosity. I just came out and outright admitted it to myself that I was looking for him, Aubry. I have not laid eyes on him since that day we had coffee and I have been puttering around and getting familiar with the policies and procedures as well as many other things here on the hospital for the last week and not one glimpse, and to my perverse sense of wrong and right, I even took to stalking the employee gym at godforsaken hours of the morning in hopes of running into him. I did manage to draw the line though at stalking the curb in front of his apartment.

 I stamped down on my train of thought, I have never obsessed about a person like this before and I found it a little unnerving, but I couldn’t help but wonder where he was because he was not here. I knew he wasn’t on shift because yes, I did check his employee file to find out a little more about the shy young man. He worked the night shift and he had stellar reviews and his education and competency as a Nurse were impeccable. Mr. Hahn held up his hands to quiet the low murmurs going on around the room. That’s when I saw him slipping in quietly through the back entrance of the conference room. I didn’t even realize I was holding my breath until it whooshed out when his gorgeous liquid amber eyes briefly locked onto mine before he lowered his gaze. Simply, mouthwatering how he did that, so sweetly submissive.

 He was simply stunning to me; he was wearing a nice pair of dark slacks and a gray button down dress shirt, in my mind’s eye I could still see his sexy slender body dripping with sweat as his muscles flexed when he was on that treadmill in the gym, my cock twitched remembering the enticing view as well. He looked just as sexy, but neat and well put together. I was jerked back into the reality of where I was and what I was supposed to be doing by the applause going on around the room. I gathered my scattered thoughts and smiled as I stepped forward to speak to my new staff.