Chapter 14

Emery and Xavier watched her from the other side of the room as she put stuff in the box. She was humming to herself, oblivious of the attention on her. She was just excited about taking the first steps towards moving out of the penthouse.

"She really doesn't want to talk about it?" Emery whispered to Xavier.

Xavier grabbed her hand and led them to the kitchen. "She changes the topic if I even try and bring it up."

Emery had just walked up to Diamond's desk to tell her something when she overheard Mr Wellington saying that her best friend has his wife's eyes. Everyone who heard him was frozen to his statement.

"What do you mean she has your wife's eyes?" Xavier had asked.

"With my wife's family, their eyes are sort of a thing and this young lady has their eyes. If my son was here, I'd show you what I mean. Their eyes aren't just a normal shade of blue. I don't know how to best explain it. It's the kind of thing you understand when you see it in person," Hamish had explained.

Diamond got up and left the building, choosing to head to Xavier's car and wait for him there. Xavier told Hamish that they would talk again some other time because he understood that his wife's feelings and consent come first.

"I'm confused about something though. Hamish said that she has his wife's eyes, but he didn't necessarily hint at her being their child. Also, she's right between Marcellus and Katherine in terms of age. The Wellington's have never reported a missing child before, and according to their profiles, Greer and Hamish only have two children," Emery commented.

"I did my research too last night, and it turns out that there was a brief time twenty-four years ago when Greer wasn't seen for the longest time. When she resurfaced, there were reports of her suffering from depression. I don't know how that's connected to this, except for the fact that Diamond is twenty-three," Xavier said.

"Which means there's a possibility that Greer was pregnant with her at the time," Emery said in realization.

He nodded. "I don't want to get ahead of myself here until we've spoken to Hamish, but with the way my wife is going about this, I don't see it ever happening."

"We've just got to give her time and also keep this between us until we know the full truth," she suggested.

"I'm really glad you were there to witness everything. I don't know if I would've been able to deal with this on my own," he admitted.

"Don't worry Xav. I've got your back," she said, hugging him.

They walked back to the lounge to find Diamond still putting things aside for packing. Xavier didn't even have intentions of stopping her, even if he couldn't understand why she was packing to begin with. They hadn't been to the orphanages yet, which means they definitely hadn't bought a house yet.

"Hey Dee," Emery spoke up.

Diamond looked up and beamed at the sight of her best friend. "Ree! What are you doing here?"

"I came to drop off a document that needs signing from Xav. What are you doing?" Emery asked.

"Oh, I'm just getting a head start on packing up," Diamond replied.

"Packing up? Are you guys moving?" Emery questioned.

"We're married now, so living in a penthouse doesn't seem right," Xavier was the one to reply.

"Plus, we want to start a family, and a penthouse isn't really the place to do so," Diamond added.

"Well, you guys are glowing and you seem happy, so I'm good with that. Xav, Hamish Wellington keeps calling the office," Emery lied, trying to get a reaction out of Diamond.