Chapter 3

It had been almost a month since the day Emery and Diamond became friends, and it had been the best time ever for them both. Emery was happier and Diamond was more care-free. Their day at the spa had solidified everything. They decided to do everything teenage BFFs would do and have grown close since. They were inseparable, even with Emery's complicated work schedule.

Xavier couldn't remember the last time he'd seen his secretary so happy, and all he knew was that it was all thanks to this Diamond woman. He'd heard so much about the woman, he felt as if he knew who she was.

Emery had enjoyed telling him that the woman had no idea who he was and had no interest in finding out, and while he would never admit it to her, it bothered him to no end. He'd never had a woman not be interested in him, let alone seeing him.

Unlike her, he'd memorised her down to detail. He'd seen a whole lot of photos of her and Emery, and he was captivated. She's insanely beautiful and she'd managed to get a reaction out of him the moment he lay his eyes on the first picture he saw of her.

He was mesmerized by her somewhat exotic beauty. He wanted to desperately meet her, but the desperation about the situation was what stopped him. He couldn't feel this way about a woman he didn't know, and who had absolutely no intentions of knowing him either.

The holiday season was in full swing as it was a few days before Christmas. His mother was being her spirited holiday self as she organized the ball, as well as Christmas lunch. Since his birthday is on Christmas Day, it's always a double feast in the Kingston household, being his mother's house.

The whole family comes around, his cousins and relatives from his mother's side included. It's a big affair, one that he honestly wasn't looking forward to.

Things at Kingston Empires were going smoothly and according to plan. He'd secured three more deals, which concluded a record breaking sixteen deals for the year. His company was officially number one on the stocks and he couldn't be more proud.

In the past month, he'd also not gone on any dates or entertained the female species. Ever since his sister and mother's opinions, he's found it hard not to be paranoid about the females clawing him for his possessions. He'd already gone through the vilest of snakes, and he didn't see himself entertaining any more.

He just couldn't see himself settling down any time soon.

Emery's head popped into his office. "Xav, Hamish Wellington is here to see you."

That's another thing he'd changed about their work relationship. He insisted he call her informally, and she didn't have a problem with it, on condition he did the same.

He frowned. "I thought he was coming in next week."

Emery shrugged. "That's what your diary says, but the man is persistent."

"Send him through," Xavier said, trying to mask his irritation. Emery nodded and walked out towards the old man.

"Sir, Mr Kingston has agreed to see you," she said politely.

"Thank you young lady! If things don't work out for you here, send your resume to me and I will personally employ you myself," Hamish said with a smile, making Emery smile.

Hamish Wellington had dealt with many secretaries and PA's in his life, but he'd never met any as polite, kind hearted and patient as Emery. Whereas many of them would've rather fought with him and had him thrown out of the building, she dealt with him professionally before taking the situation to her boss. He couldn't have been more impressed.

Emery decided to call Diamond since she had a few minutes to spare. It was 15:39 on a Friday afternoon.

"I was just about to call you," her best friend's dejected voice reached her ears.