Saith

Pushing our way through the sea of students, we enter the unimpressive room and find a group of empty seats half way up and next to the window. We make our way up the middle isle and I suddenly jump into the one right next to the window, earning a murderous look from Emmy, to which I answer in a grin as wide as the cheshire cat. Emmy almost always demands the window seat wherever possible, but not today. I don't think that she has the energy to care too much. Emmy drops into the seat next to me leaving connor to sit on the end.

The lecture drones on about some old case study that has zero relevance to our topic of strategy meetings. My concentration wares and I begin to assess the classroom of students.

There are the stereotypical groups easily labeled... The do gooders, all facing forward eagerly taking notes- bleh. Then you have the typical slackers, all seated behind us and towards the back of the hall, whispering not so quietly and generally ignoring the lesson. Then there's everyone else, those who want to be here but find the subject matter drawn out excessively long. They all look directly ahead trailing off intermittently into their own imaginary dreamworlds.

Making another sweep of the room, I catch the eye of the jackass from my first day. He raises his eyebrow, the way cute guys do it, but the cliché sweet smile is replaced but a sleezy grin, he motions his head towards me and then the door. Completely shocked, I drop my eyes and shake my head and turn my gaze out of the window.

Outside, the early morning sunshine has vanished behind a dense layer of black ominous clouds, leaving behind a miserably grey afternoon. There weren't many people outside, most likely due to it being mid afternoon and classes running. Opposite our room, the paved pedestrianised area has a scattering of benches and the path is lined with young cherry blossom trees separating the benches. They are gorgeous in the late spring, but now in the tight grasp of autumn, the trees stand tall, bare lifeless and depressing to look at.

Half listening to the tutor, I continue my observations of the outside spaces. Skimming the area, a large black bird, or crow or raven.. who know which, flies down from atop of the adjacent building to take up a new position on the bench opposite our room. It's midnight black feathers give a stark contrast to the pale white washed wood. Even more striking is the way it seemed to be focused on the window, or me? It's beady shiny eyes staring directly at me.

Kalissa I hear my name called.

A bit taken aback by this, no one calls me Kalissa, except my parents, when I'm in trouble. I turn my head back to look at Emmy who is doodling in her notebook as the rest of the class remain captivated-certainly on the surface- by the tutor. I look back at the bird to find it has flown  off the bench.

A shimmer of black catches the cornor of my eye. Following the direction of the shadow, I find the bird perched atop of a bin a mere 3meters away from the window. Continuing it's scrutiny of me. Just as I'm about to call Emms, the bird opens it's wings to their full span, dark scary eyes remain focused on me, emitting an unnatural glow.

Completely and frighteningly in awe by this bird, I watch in amazement. It's black pointed beak opens infinitismaly and suddenly releases a high pitched, ear piercing shrill!!

I jump in my seat, I am so startled by this unexpected and spine chilling sound, a strangled shreak escapes my throat. I unintentionally knock my books off my small desk on to the people in the row in front of me and onto the floor. 

"Ah, Miss Morgan, care to add something to our discussion?" Mr Hameson asks with a tone of arrogance. Completely embarrassed,  I answer with a shake of my head. "Well then, if Miss Morgan is quite finished, onwards we go."

Mr Hameson picks up his textbook and restarts his speech on the Fraser Guidelines.

Emmy nudges my arm questionly "You ok?" she asks.