FORTY THREE

(  word count: 1552  )

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:

CHANGES

     AFTER THE SCANDAL HAD CALMED and the teens had handed over the evidence to an adult, Jughead demanded to see his father. Ginny, like a good girlfriend, went with the beanie loving boy to the Sherif's station but was quiet the entire time. First off, she was still in shock from the events, and secondly, she didn't want FP Jones out of jail.

Jughead did find out, however, that Clifford Blossom had in fact threatened FP Jones. And that was all that mattered to Jughead, his father was protecting him.

That crazy night had passed with the couple going to Ginny's and sleeping, especially since the next day was still a school day for them. Jughead and Ginny were happy to finally have a relaxing time during lunch with their friends when Betty brought up the Jubilee that Mayor McCoy was putting on. 

Betty sighed, turning to Jughead. "I told her I wouldn't do it. Not unless you're up there with us, Jug."

"I appreciate the righteous indignation, Betty, I do, but Jubilees aren't my thing." Jughead snorted, turning to Ginny.

"Yeah, Betty," Ginny added, holding Jug's hand under the table. "Especially since all of you kinda ruined our last dance." 

"Jug, how's your dad? Did you get in to see him?" Archie asked as he changed the subject, shoving some food in his mouth. 

"Here's the latest. Mayor McCoy wants my dad to name names in exchange for a lesser sentence." Jughead announced and Ginny sighed, shaking her head at FP's indignation and denial of becoming a snitch.

"What? Whose names?"

"The Serpents. Sheriff Keller thinks they're the ones dealing the drugs that Clifford Blossom brought into the town." Jughead explained.

"My dad says more and more drugs are hitting the streets." Kevin stated, nodding his head in agreement.

"Kevin, relax, this isn't The Wire." Jughead turned to Kevin, rolling his eyes. "My dad says they're not the ones dealing."

"Kev, no one is forcing you to do drugs either," Ginny pointed out with a pointed stare. "Sure you're dads a cop but chill on the sheltered white boy shit."

"And meanwhile, Mayor McCoy hasn't even said the words "Clifford" or "Blossom" in public." Betty spoke up with a cough, trying to diffuse the rising tension.  "It's all about how the Serpents are the problem, the villains. This is outrageous. I'm writing an article about this, and not just for The Blue and Gold, for The Register. This is a town story."

"Okay," Jughead intervened, noting how the blonde teenager was getting ramped up with anger. "As long as the article doesn't include my dad."

"No, it is going to be about your dad, Jug. It doesn't matter how many Jubilees Mayor McCoy throws. This town's changed. That needs to be acknowledged. Why are people so afraid of the truth?" Betty told her ex-boyfriend, but Ginny frowned, knowing Jughead didn't want more attention on his father or himself.

"Speaking of the truth Archie and I wanted to tell you–" Veronica spoke up, turning to Betty. Ginny frowned in confusion as Archie mouthed words at V, before he turned to the blonde as well.