PROLOGUE

word count: 450

↳ PROLOGUE:

PROLOGUE:

FOURTH OF JULY  ↵

      VIRGINIA HOPKINS TUGGED AT THE frayed edges of her sweater as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

It definitely wasn't.

But for Virginia, parties weren't the ideal setting for a perfect weekend. It actually was her friend, Evie's, favourite thing to do. Virginia was told that she had to go for moral support— it was a big year for Evie because she wanted to try out for cheerleading and the only way she could get bonus points was to suck up to Cheryl Blossom— her key to high school popularity.

Virginia didn't mind that her best friend wanted to be popular, who could blame her? She, however, liked staying in the shadows where she could observe. She wasn't much of a socialite and preferred to read novels than go out to the movies.

It was, their high school years and that's where you found yourself. Ginny knew herself though, she was quiet and was only talkative with friends— when she found people she could trust, then she could let loose.

Virginia just wanted the god damn party to end though.

She stared at the full cup that sat beside her in her uncomfortable chair. The young brunette definitely knew she had too many drinks and another wouldn't make her feel any better in the morning. 

Honestly, July was a shitty month to have a party. It was too warm outside and having a pool party wasn't that appealing to Virginia. She didn't like showing off her body, she felt as if a bikini would diminish her character and she would be beyond sexualised by boys.

Why did guys only want sex?

That was a big problem for the teenage girl. She didn't want to have sex. She had believed that she should save herself for someone special. Virginia could say she was religious but she wasn't actually sure.

She didn't want to preserve her virginity because of some dumb rule.

No, her virginity was in her hands. She would eventually find someone she could love. She just didn't like boys all that much.

But that really didn't interest Virginia Hopkins as she stumbled out of the house. She didn't know anyone in the house besides Evie and the one, the only, Jason Blossom. She frowned as her vision began to blur and she immediately knew she was drugged.

Her trembling hands pushed open the white picket fence, she had to get away from the party to be able to breathe.

Drugged? Who drugged her? Was it him—?

I didn't want to come to this damn party.

And that was the last thing she thought before passing out in a cold alley beside the house.

All alone.

• • •