Chapter 1

Last bit was the like...preface of the story! :)

I sat up straight, still gasping for air. Everything seemed so...surreal. Was I sure I was alive? I slowly turned my head to look around the room. I was in a hospital...I was in the morgue room. The smell of slight decay made me crinkle my nose. Then I wondered: Why could I smell that when I was just a human? In a fluid motion, I slid off the bed, and frowned. For some reason, I could hear the murmuring of voices in the room next to mine, and the 'tap tap' of Damon's feet as he was running to my room. It was amazing. I could hear so much!

The door swang open, and in a flash Damon's arms were around me, squeezing me. He kissed my hair, and pulled back. He looked me in the eyes.

"Elena, I'm so glad that you're alive."

I smiled at him, and he kissed my cheek. I stared into his icy blue eyes...they seemed to be sparkling, with...what was it? Emotion? If wanted to cry, would he be right now? No...I thought. He wasn't the type to show weakness.

Stefan ran into the room, and was the second person to hug me. His hand slowly moved up and down my back, and he kissed me passionately, just like the night of the last dance I had alive. I kissed him back, squeezing my eyes shut, not wanting the tears that were filling my eyes to escape and cascade down my cheeks.

"Stefan," I whispered as I pulled back. I clasped my hands around his neck. "Stefan, I love you."

I hadn't realized that the tears had escaped, until Stefan's thumb wiped one away. "I love you," I repeated again.

He smiled slightly. "I love you too Elena, I can't believe I ever let you go," he said to me, and hugged me once again. I looked over Stefan's shoulder, and saw Damon's cold stare. His expression was unreadable though, I couldn't see past his hard exterior.

I heard someone else's footsteps head down my way, and Doctor Fell walked into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Elena," she said, and nodded to Damon and Stefan, addressing them silently.

She stared at me, she was very worried. "Elena..." she said again.

"Doctor Fell," I said to her. "The smell in this room is oddly disturbing."

Damon and Stefan exchanged worried looks, but Doctor Fell just smiled tightly and opened the door. "Why don't we continue this in my office? Follow me."

We all walked briskly to her office, and I opened the door. The air in here was fresh, inviting. I sat down in a chair and looked at my lap.

"Is she...?" Stefan mumbled to Damon. I turned my head to look at him. He opened his mouth to say something, but then stopped.

"Elena, how are you feeling?" Doctor Fell asked me, opening up my file on her table.

"I'm fine," I said. "Better than fine! I feel amazing...but something's different. Meredith, a lot is different."

Doctor Fell chewed her bottom lip for a quick moment.

"Do...do you remember what happened?" Stefan asked me.

I looked between Stefan and Damon, and nodded. "Of course I remember, I mean, it would be impossible to forget the fact that I drowned-" I gasped, cutting off my sentence.

"So, you know what happens next," Damon said sarcastically. Stefan elbowed him, and stood up sharply. "I shouldn't have listened to you, I should have-"

"Brother, please save the drama for someone who wants to see the performance," Damon interrupted, grimacing. Stefan closed his mouth and narrowed his eyes at his brother.